Android Question How to obtain address from latitude and longitude, without using Google services?

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
How to convert from latitude and longitude to location/address, without using Google services (which you have to pay for)?

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
there are a number of RESTful geocoders available other than google's. just google "geocoders".
google itself offers a very generous geocoding service (ie, free). unless it's your intention to reverse geocode every set of coordinates on the planet, the daily/monthly limits should be satisfactory. there is, in addition, a geolocation library for b4a. you don't even need a key for it. try the search box above.

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
there are a number of RESTful geocoders available other than google's. just google "geocoders".
google itself offers a very generous geocoding service (ie, free). unless it's your intention to reverse geocode every set of coordinates on the planet, the daily/monthly limits should be satisfactory. there is, in addition, a geolocation library for b4a. you don't even need a key for it. try the search box above.

If library is this GeoCode Lib for B4A the Google Api key is necessary, almost for reverse geocoding (address from coordinate)
Or did you mean another library ?

Upvote 0

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've always seen these kinds of questions on the forum.

GoogleMaps, Yandex, Mapbox, Here, Bing Maps, locationIQ, MapQuest, graphhopper, Opencage, etc.

They all have limits on their geocoding services and API usage latencies (amount x time).

You should roughly estimate the range of requests per day and time that your application would have and select the most convenient alternative from geocode service providers.

Nominatim does not have limetes in geocode requests, but it does in the concurrence of requests per seconds.

P.S:
Nothing is free in this life

Cheers,

Upvote 0

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i was thinking of geolocation (by @DonManfred). one of the methods involves passing coords and getting the address returned. its main function is to geolocate the user, but in addition to telling you where you are on the planet in terms of latitude and longitude, it can provide the address (if known). try the search box ("geolocation"). the geocoder library you mention should also work. both were written before the age of runtimepermissions and recent google restrictions, so keep that in mind. you may have to modify your manifest (if you haven't already done so.) i think i've seen both, but it's been a while.

Upvote 0

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i was thinking of geolocation (by @DonManfred). one of the methods involves passing coords and getting the address returned. its main function is to geolocate the user, but in addition to telling you where you are on the planet in terms of latitude and longitude, it can provide the address (if known). try the search box ("geolocation"). the geocoder library you mention should also work. both were written before the age of runtimepermissions and recent google restrictions, so keep that in mind. you may have to modify your manifest (if you haven't already done so.) i think i've seen both, but it's been a while.

Dear, we have tested the library and it is not exact and also sometimes it does not return the address.
Check the GIT of the Library and comments from other users.

Upvote 0