Android Question Install Failed - Package signatures do not match with b4a version 11

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Version 9.9 compiles and installs without problem. Version 11 does not. See compile messages below.

Both b4a versions are compiling the exact same project folder (package name, etc).

Both versions are using the same path configurations and (old) debug.keystore. I've checked this and they are identical. The SDK is recent - downloaded ten days ago.

targetSdkVersion="28"

The logs are below. I can't figure out why v11 does not install over previous version.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Here's the compile log from version 9.9
----------------------------------------
B4A Version: 9.90
Java Version: 11
Parsing code. (0.18s)
Building folders structure. (0.04s)
Compiling code. (0.26s)
Compiling layouts code. (0.05s)
Organizing libraries. (0.00s)
(AndroidX SDK)
Generating R file. (0.00s)
Compiling generated Java code. (0.04s)
Convert byte code - optimized dex. (3.03s)
Packaging files. (0.70s)
Copying libraries resources (0.04s)
Found 5 resource files.
Signing package file (debug key). (1.35s)
ZipAlign file. (0.05s)
Installing file to device. (3.56s)
Device serial: R52M80P1ZPN
Completed successfully.

Here's the compile log from version 11
-----------------------------------------------------
B4A Version: 11.00
Parsing code. (0.18s)
Java Version: 11
Building folders structure. (0.08s)
Compiling code. (0.27s)
Compiling layouts code. (0.04s)
Organizing libraries. (0.00s)
(AndroidX SDK)
Compiling resources (0.13s)
Linking resources (0.41s)
Compiling generated Java code. (0.04s)
Convert byte code - optimized dex. (2.78s)
Copying libraries resources (0.39s)
ZipAlign file. (0.05s)
Signing package file (debug key). (0.96s)
Installing file to device. Error
adb: failed to install ODD2020.apk: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE: Package cfrf.ondeck.data signatures do not match previously installed version; ignoring!]

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I did. I used WinRAR to unzip them. I inspected the ZIP files and the folders on disk and all subdirectories appear to be properly un-zipped.

Also, for what it's worth, both versions of b4a are referencing the same SDK.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Also, for what it's worth, both versions of b4a are referencing the same SDK.
B4A 9 and 11 uses a DIFFERENT SDK.
You need to install a NEW SDK with B4A 10.7+.
Delete your SDK and install it new. Use 7zip to extract the ZIPs
Find the installationinstructions here: https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html

Upvote 0

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for the suggestion. I have done this - twice. Both b4a versions are referencing the latest SDK, downloaded and checked on both November 3rd and November 12th.

Upvote 0

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes. That works perfectly.

However, I need to update the app for folks in the field (ocean, actually) who would be challenged to reconfigure their new install.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It seems that recompiling with B4A 11 produces a different package signature than B4A V9. This is what packager signing is about - and is as far as my knowledge goes!

I know that B4A v11 changes some things to do with signing. Hopefully Erel might see this thread and offer a better understanding of what the problem is.

Upvote 0

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, Erel. I did do that. Both code bases are using the old debug.keystore dated 2010. I've confirmed this multiple times. Thankfully, I have not released the new compile. The app has been in use for over seven years with the old debug key, so I've been carefully protecting and preserving the old key with each b4a update.

I've checked every element that I can think would affect this and have run out of ideas. I'm very much hoping there's a way to move forward from v9.9 and stay current (while using the old debug key).

Upvote 0

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel - you are right. My error. The v11 install inadvertently went into a subdirectory (Program Files (x86)\Anywhere Software\Basic4Android\Basic4Android). I was comparing/replacing keystores in the parent, which also contains a full (older) version of b4a.

I apologize for taking up your valuable time, and that of other helpful folks. Thank you all.

Upvote 0