Integrate barcode scanner as view / portrait mode scanning

Pfriemler

Licensed User
Longtime User
Recently I use the ABZxing lib in my app to scan barcodes. It works, but I want to make it even better.

1) I am forced to use the phone in landscape mode with the ZXing. It would be much better to have a portrait scan mode.

2) It would be a great benefit if I could use the scanner in a sort of preview/automatic mode inside the app layout instead of calling a fullscreen app. The app should be able to show some facts to the scanned item while ready to scan the next - without any additional taps on screen.

Maybe there's a short way to solve both probs I do not know by now.
This is what I got:

a) There's a "Barcode Scanner+" app in play store. Will the ABZXing B4A Library be able to use this instead of the free version?
As my app will not be distributed but has to work on a few phones only, I would buy it instantly if 1) would be solved with it.

b) I just tried "quickmark" but it seems to be much slower and produces garbage reading my Code128 tags.

Is there anybody to contribute some useful things to my probs? THX.

boastrike

Licensed User
Longtime User
Pfriemler,

I use quickmark and scan code 128 in portrait all the time in my app and have had zero problems with either using the abzxing library.

Best of luck, Jim

Upvote 0

Pfriemler

Licensed User
Longtime User
UPDATE:

Indeed - ABZXing lib works not only with ZXing, but also with Quickmark. Why the hell the Quickmark app did confuse me with strange characters instead of correct code? With my B4A app everything works, and at least with Code128 as fast as the ZXing.

It's a little bit annoying that some frames rotates indicating that QuickMark itself works in landscape mode (but it reads omni-directional) just before and after the scan.

Still not solved: How to integrate the scanner preview in a "window" on my app form instead of fullscreen. Since my cam has a wide view angle, the marked reading area (in ZXing as well as in QuickMark) would be enough to see.

An idea: If a scanner API will not work in this way, maybe I could use a cam view instead and start the scanner itself with an additional tap on it.

BTW: All this do not have to be fast - if I have to scan much codes in a short time, there's no way but using an external (bluetooth) hardware scanner - I have two of them ...

Upvote 0