Intel launches five Core chips with Radeon graphics from rival AMD - Does it cost too much

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3246204/ces/intel-launches-core-chips-with-amd-radeon-graphics.html

But is it really worth it, it's not like it's 40% or even 20% quicker than its predecessor?

Processors are increasingly costing more and more money every few years. Gone are the nineties where for a while processors got cheaper and cheaper (mainly thanks to chips like the Cyrix and also the AMD). To me the performance just does not justify the price these days, nowhere near.

What are your thoughts about it?

Last edited:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree. It's at the point now where a £400 CPU will only get you 50% more performance than a £90 CPU. I found this going from an intel G4560 (£60) to an i7 7700 (£240), while the extra speed is nice, the much higher price point doesn't really justify itself.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
only get you 50% more performance

only? 50% is a lot. if you work with software that require high cpu then 50% less time to wait is a lot in a office.
maybe not for the individual user but for companies every minute counts.

the question is alway what use is your pc for and if you are a gamer then you will probably need to update your system every 6 month to be able to play new games.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
To me the performance just does not justify the price these days
it depends on sight i would say.

I LOVE the new Speed of my Intel I7 when compiling source (for ex) :)

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
$799 and $999 price tag.
Quote: "Intel says its new chips will be 7 percent faster in 3DMark versus a Core i7-7700HQ system with an Nvidia GTX 1060 Max-Q (6GB) chip accompanying it."

That's a lot of of money to spend just for a small 7% increase in general processing speed. Yes it can be up to 13 faster in games, but that's up to and no guaranteed, the basic chip is apparently 7% faster according to multiple articles that I've read.

I find that processors these days just cost too much money and in my opinion the price does not justify the small increases in speeds year on year. Processors are getting a lot better when it comes to power consumption though, I'll give them that.

It just seems to me that processor prices are just going crazy, okay gfx card are really high priced, but processors are once again slowly creeping up in price again.

Last edited:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
only? 50% is a lot. if you work with software that require high cpu then 50% less time to wait is a lot in a office.
maybe not for the individual user but for companies every minute counts.

the question is alway what use is your pc for and if you are a gamer then you will probably need to update your system every 6 month to be able to play new games.
true, but a dual sockety board with two G4560 CPUs would be just as fast and much cheaper than my current 7700 sysytem