Interfacing the PS4 console (not the controller)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

One of my kids is a 2020 F1 PS4 game addicted and even has a racing seat ans specialized steering wheel... the thing is already over 500€ just in extras...
He was watching a video of how to add an LED display to the steering wheel... just the pcb costs 150€ plus a lot of manual work...
Apparently this display interfaces the ps4 by Bluetooth...
Has any of you any interesting links about how to retrieve info from the PS4 console through BT ?
I was ready to bet him that it could be done (the whole thing) for less than half the price, using B4R and maybe an esp32...
But I find no info on this...

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe @DonManfred can help you in some way, as it seems he has some experience interfacing PS4

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Indeed,
Many useful information there.
I will dig into it... although it's all Chinese to me!

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
although it's all Chinese to me!
its OK I can get it translated into Khoi-San and that will make it all clear .....
khoisan

or Xhosa

less than 2000€ you could buy a real second-hand car
WOW just

2 000 Euro equals
36 862,49 South African Rand

Look out Hamilton the ex-colonial is en route . . . .

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
He was watching a video of how to add an LED display to the steering wheel... just the pcb costs 150€ plus a lot of manual work...
Apparently this display interfaces the ps4 by Bluetooth...
Is the LED display for showing the current Gear ? 🤔
Something like when I press my "real car" steering's paddle shifter?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is the LED display for showing the current Gear ? 🤔
Something like when I press my "real car" steering's paddle shifter?
Current gear, rpm, motor temp, etc...

Last edited:

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Current genre, rpm, motor temp, etc...
I see...

Thrustmaster-BT-Display-02.jpg

source/credit: https://www.gtplanet.net/thrustmaster-reveals-ps4-only-bt-led-display-unit/

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The racing games show they can transmit the data on udp - so you could probably get a pi to read the data and drive a display for the telemetry of the car.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Could a Esp2866 do it?
I've never worked with udp packets before

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you see @DonManfred post here
udp data

Not sure on Esp2866

Worst case you could probably use an old android phone as the display and read the udp packets on the phone.

Last edited:

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
I tell you what - it will be easier to break the 2020 F1 addiction than to find real information about how to do this.

I just tried a search and beside finding that "somewhere" there is an API and SDK there is nothing that gets close.

the @DonManfred link above might get you somewhere but to translate the UPD data into hardware that will make a good LED display -> -> -> ?

In fact it would be easier to learn KhoiSan language.

My guess is that a "birthday" gift @ +-150 euro would be worth the spend given the amount of time to resolve this. although, even then, one would have to translate into some form of hardware.

I found the link @aeric showed above as well (but you (/the kid) may want more).

Sony apparently is not happy with third party additions . . . . . nor the "escapee" SDK.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Could a Esp2866 do it?
Go ESP32.

On second thoughts -> I just had a look at that @DonManfred thread. There must be good prospects there since "all you have to do" is chop-up those UDP data strings and then use that to write to an OLED screen or even just a set of LEDs. You know GEAR = 3 turn on LED. As you probably know - ESP has lots of digital inputs and some analogue.

There is a link here to the F1 2020 UDP data specs, just putting it here since the spec may have been tweaked or changed. F1 2020 UDP Specification [[EDIT : i see @Daestrum already got there.]]

An ESP32 should be able to connect with that UDP (I haven't looked to see but I presume that the connections is BlueT which is built into the ESP32). Check out the way ESP NOW works (again I know that this is how two ESP32 units can talk but ESP has both wireless and BlueT).

Just in case you have not seen information about : (you might have to do some extrapolation) Pretty sure ESP will work - so B4R is an option......
ESP NOW
ESP LoRa

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I tell you what - it will be easier to break the 2020 F1 addiction than to find real information about how to do this.

I just tried a search and beside finding that "somewhere" there is an API and SDK there is nothing that gets close.

the @DonManfred link above might get you somewhere but to translate the UPD data into hardware that will make a good LED display -> -> -> ?

In fact it would be easier to learn KhoiSan language.

My guess is that a "birthday" gift @ +-150 euro would be worth the spend given the amount of time to resolve this. although, even then, one would have to translate into some form of hardware.

I found the link @aeric showed above as well (but you (/the kid) may want more).

Sony apparently is not happy with third party additions . . . . . nor the "escapee" SDK.
Thanks for the replies...
Apparently SDK is not needed as the game can broadcast the telemetry in UDP packets to a pre-selected ip, so wifi may suffice and I have 2 or 3 esp2866 laying around... somewhere..
I have found the UDP composition standard to this F1 2020 game, which seems to be different but retro compatible with F1 2018.
To start off, I will try to read the raw UDP packets and if I succeed, the I will keep on going...
To me, I have 2 challenges in this...
The UDP... I never worked with but seems easy enough to retrieve but a bitch to "translate "
The Graphics... showing info is easy... making it both eye appealing and readable is another ball game!

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Cableguy if you need help deciphering the packet data give me a shout :)