iPhone Style gadgets

J12345T

Licensed User
Hi All,

As a beginner to all of this I have been very surprised at how intuitive the process of taking an idea to code and then to a working program has been. Personally, I love the HTC touch touchflow and the iPhone style gadgetry. I haven't a clue how these things work however, is there any possibility of creating a Library to develop applications which take advantage of scrolling menus; page flipping album art etc. etc. ?

JT.:)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have an QTEK 9000(dopod, mda pro,etc)
Wich has no touchflow,OS installed, but I lerk around another forum in wich a working Flash based thouchflow clone was introduced...
The basics on thouchflow are very simple and surely can be achieved with B4Ppc
being then the ability to "read" the finger movement on the screen...
The imagery is a completly different thing...

sahoopes

Licensed User
It can be done

To mimic iphone and touchflo in B4PPC just read mouse movements and translate them into gestures. This works for one-finger gestures but I hear the iphone just "pinch" gestures also, that is, it can react to the way 2 fingers on the screen move in relation to eachother.

Pinch is not possible yet on Windows PPCs.

I have tinkered around with gestures a couple times and if you keep it simple it works great. For example, if you break the screen up into a grid and designate each cell of the grid a letter then gestures just become a short string of letters.

Screen grid:

.A.|.B.|.C.
.D.|.E.|.F.
.G.|.H.|.I.
.J.|.K.|.L.

Gestures:

Horizontal swipe right: DEF or GHI or ...
Vertical swipe up: KHEB or ...
Clockwise from left to top: GDAB or ...

and so on...

From there it's just a matter of reacting to the gesture. Animate an image, slide a panel in from the side to simulate page turning, etc. Using a couple of the image libraries found here I was able to create an app that browses images thumbnails, zooms, and rotates images purely using gestures in the above manner.

Last edited:

J12345T

Licensed User
Hi all,

Very interesting. I experimented with gestures and was able to use horizontal and vertical 'swipes' to change form1.image. What I'd like to be able to do is cause the image to animate; ie slide in from one side or the top or 'flip' like a turning page. Can this animation be achieved through B4PPC?

Cheers,

JT.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Not directly...but you can load a series of images and then use a timer to go trough them, thus creating an animation, but it will be very memory consuming...

sahoopes

Licensed User
sliding in can be done in a loop by changing the top and/or left properties of the image control. Turning page would have to be done with a series of images as Cableguy describes.