Is it ever worth telling your boss why you're quitting?

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've resigned from my job, to take on a new more challenging (and better paid) role somewhere else. I'm not bad at my job, I just don't find it interesting or difficult, in fact the only real difficulties are getting any responses from managers when I need approvals for things to get done, meaning things don't get done, so my enthusiasm for building more great work, goes down the toilet, as I feel totally un appreciated.

Do is it worth even telling my manager this? He's not empowered to do anything about it going forward, so my team mates won't benefit and I'll be gone anyway.

So when you've quit jobs, have you been totally honest why you've quit? Or just left it as simple as "I want to further my career" and left it at that?

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've resigned from my job,

Hello Andy,
Well I'm more than sure that you're doing the right thing for yourself and especially for your family. It's really no good for your motivation and mental health if you're stuck in a job that pays well but does not motivate you in the correct way.

Anyway good luck with your new job, I hope that you enjoy your new role and that it's more than challenging for you, thus it pushes you to hopefully do great work.

Good luck and cheers to you and your new job 🍻🍻🍻

Jeffrey Cameron

Licensed User
Longtime User
It depends on the business, really. Some places will ask you to participate in an "exit interview" and that's a good place to bring stuff like that up. If it's just one person in the organization and you see other (not your) managers doing a better job than your manager, then it's probably worth letting your boss's boss know. If every manager you had to interact with at the company was like that then they probably don't care.

After many years of working my business motto, weather dealing with managers or customers, comes down to a simple phrase, "Don't complain, don't explain."

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So when you've quit jobs, have you been totally honest why you've quit? Or just left it as simple as "I want to further my career" and left it at that?
IMHO, explaining the reasons is not only a matter of whether it will be -or not- useful for your manager at this precise moment. Perhaps it will be useful in the future if he gets more power (and has the will) to change things in the company.

If you consider that (perhaps even more from a personal than a professional point of view) someone deserves it, clear communication costs nothing (unless you never want to hear anything else about that manager again), and helps keeping doors open. Many things change in life: perhaps you'll have the chance to work again together in the same or another company, or someone will ask him for a recommendation in the future...who knows.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Do is it worth even telling my manager this?
mmm I've been off for a while and just seen this post.

Not really - I have found that by the time I've decided to leave "they" probably know everything you think anyway. And, anyway, what would the purpose be? Would they ask you to reconsider if they knew these things?

Incidentally, labour law here provides for an exit interview normally conducted by a middle-manager in HR (sometimes a senior). I was interviewed by the deputy director/acting director. Its an interesting exercised that explores a number of issues and areas - and - is a sort of "let us have it" session.

Of course, one can decline the opportunity - worked there 35 years was the national president of the trade union. what do you think I did ??? 😁

By now you've probably started your new gig - best wishes with that - I hope you started with the statement : Just so you know - I work any day of the year - but - NEVER on my birthday - just so you know - sir 😊