Android Question Is it possible to force a split screen?

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have looked at all the posts that arise when I search the forums on "split screen" (product = B4A) and have read in detail agraham's excellent tutorial - but I can find no hint as to how I may be able to force a split screen.

A more general google of "android force split screen" gives any number of hits on how to set split screen up after device boot - but nothing about how to programmatically do it.

I'm faced with a kiosk-style scenario using Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 3GB/32GB running Android 11.

3 of these devices sit on a customer reception desk at a "trees adventure" park and are used to capture "waiver agreement" OKs - the customer must agree to not sue etc if they fall out of a tree. This is just a web application running in a browser.

I've been given permission to use the bottom half of the screen to run promo videos for the product I'm involved with.

The reception staff are reasonably competent but often distracted by customer issues - so can not be relied on to monitor the devices.

I plan on writing a small app that automatically launches at device boot then regularly checks it is appropriately positioned etc and runs a short video in a loop.

But I can not find any way to have it force a split screen environment.

Is this possible?

Thanks in anticipation...

MicroDrie

Licensed User
Why do you want to use a split screen? You could also choose to position the app in the top half of the screen and use the other bottom half to use the promotional video. You could make the display size dynamic yourself with one app, two dynamic screen views and no hassle to turn a split screen on or off.

Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Why do you want to use a split screen? You could also choose to position the app in the top half of the screen and use the other bottom half to use the promotional video. You could make the display size dynamic yourself with one app, two dynamic screen views and no hassle to turn a split screen on or off.
The top of the screen has to show a browser showing a web page - the main purpose of the device - over which I have limited control.

The video goes in the bottom half.

Upvote 0