Android Question Is it possible to open a PDF without Intent?

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all.
Is it possible to open a PDF without Intent?

I know how to open a pdf file with intent - it works fine. But I have no control over it. What if the user diesn't have any apps installed to read pdf files? Next - how to get back from the intent to the app? Click Back button is not alwaus the option. For example - Microsoft PDF reader. We open a file with this app, then clicked Back and now we can see a list of other files. It might confuse a user if he is not tech savvy. I can't tell him what PDF reader to install.

My goal is to open a pdf so the user can see what inside (just to make sure that he opened a correct file). For example he has a pdf with his driver license and some other pdf files. And I need his driver license to be sent to the server and stored in his profile.

My idea:

1. user selects pdf
2. user sees that this is correct pdf
3. user clicks on the button Conformed and Send on the same screen

Thank you.

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
Use your own PDF reader like PDFab - a default PDF viewer app based on DonManfred's PDFium wrap and adapt it to your own behavior wishes.
Thank you for your reply.

I tried on my LGE LM-Q720 (Android 10) and it crashed.

B4X:
** Activity (main) Pause, UserClosed = false **
** Activity (main) Create  **
** Activity (main) Resume **
onError()
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Failed resolution of: Landroid/support/v4/util/ArrayMap;
    at com.shockwave.pdfium.PdfDocument.<init>(PdfDocument.java:109)
    at com.shockwave.pdfium.PdfiumCore.newDocument(PdfiumCore.java:132)
    at com.github.barteksc.pdfviewer.source.FileSource.createDocument(FileSource.java:38)
    at com.github.barteksc.pdfviewer.DecodingAsyncTask.doInBackground(DecodingAsyncTask.java:49)
    at com.github.barteksc.pdfviewer.DecodingAsyncTask.doInBackground(DecodingAsyncTask.java:25)
    at android.os.AsyncTask$3.call(AsyncTask.java:378)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1167)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:641)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:919)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: android.support.v4.util.ArrayMap
    ... 10 more
** Activity (main) Pause, UserClosed = false **

Upvote 0