Is King James Bible royalty free?

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am working on a meditation app that requires many chapters from the Bible, Quran and Torah..
I know Quran is royalty-free, but I heard there is no free bible and they all copy righted.
Any help appreciated.. I need any bible that's royalty free.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i would recommend you before you make this app that you talk to religios people to not hurt the feelings of religious people, religion is quite sensitive topic...

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Ilan..
Rest assured the purpose of the app, as mentioned is for meditation, so it is being designed to heal people, not to hurt :)

James Chamblin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was just about to say that the Authorized King James Version is in the public domain. At least it is in most countries. It appears that England is different as the KJV is under what they call a Royal Prerogative. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version#Copyright_status
There are other versions of the Bible besides the KJV, Copyright status varies. Most will allow you to copy 250 verses without seeking permission as long as you indicate which version you are using.
There are the World English Version and Open English Bible which has been entered into the public domain by its authors. You could use verses, or even reproduce whole sections of text without the need for permission.
Also, the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts are completely in the public domain. Copyright only applies to the translations.