Job Offer

LittleBritaly

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was about to start on this project myself (been meaning to for some time).

This is really very small but I do have a number of projects planned for in the future.

I want people to be able to text (common name/slang for sending an SMS in the UK) an order to my phone, which will forward the order to a php script.

The php script stores the data in a database and prints a receipt. This part is already working (php/mysql), it just expects the data in a particular way.

All the phone has to do is check the subject of the text, if it reads order (for example), parse the body, send it to the php script. Phone number of sender also needs to be sent to script.

Would be nice to have a log, display order on screen, a list of orders etc.

I'd like the source and preferably copyright.

Eventually I hope to have a full ordering system, but for now this will do, we already have people texting (sms'ing) their orders to a landline, we then have to listen to the spoke text, write it down etc, phone customer to confirm.

GiovanniPolese

Licensed User
Longtime User
Your app

Hi
I did something similar, only I don't understand why using a sms. My application talks to an asp script on a site, which interacts with a database. Perharps something can be done in this way, or am I missing something?
Best regards
Giovanni

MiniDemonic

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have already done SMS intercepting applications before, and I have worked with PHP for a while. This project seems to be easy to implement, and I would like to take this offer.

PM me and we can talk more about it.

LittleBritaly

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the offers but after talking to some of the guys on here I decided it would be best to go ahead and purchase a full b4a licence and code this myself.

The reason I took this decision is that it was going to take almost as long to write out a full detailed description of my requirements as it was to write the code for the relatively simple app.

I knew exactly what I wanted to do, but describing that to a stranger without being able to physically show them what/why/how was just too time consuming.

I've got the basics working in a couple of hours despite never having used b4a in earnest.

GiovanniPolese, the reason for using sms is that some of our customers often don't have credit (to phone) and not everyone has a smartphone (or if they have don't have data enabled).

Thanks again everyone, I hope this helps people understand the intricacies of developing apps for other people/organisations.

MiniDemonic

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's great that you decided to code it yourself.
If you need any help along the way, don't hesitate to make a thread about it, everyone here is super helpful. This is probably the best community, haven't seen anyone looking down on someone else.