B4J Question jSQL, ResultSet and (lack of) RowCount

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Question;

How can I tell if a ResultSet is empty or get a row count from a ResultSet without calling NextRow?

Background;

I have an app that produces a report from several (long running) SQL queries (against SQLite)

I was running a report today and one of the queries returns no results which is acceptable but it was throwing an error when I try to get a value from the ResultSet. The error is "java.sql.SQLException: ResultSet closed".

Granted the code is not ideal and I have fixed that but...

The issue is the ResultSet is initialized, has a column count but there is no way to tell if the ResultSet contains any rows without invoking NextRow (which I don't want to do at the point in the code where the error was occuring).

There is no RowCount method on the ResultSet (jSQL 1.30).

As the query can take a long time to run I cant run the query more than once (too time consuming) and I dont want to run a separate "select count(*)" statement every time (this too is time consuming).

I tried this https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/sql-rowcount.61092/#content but the ResultSet (fro SQLite) is forward only so cant be traversed this way.

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel. I've already fixed code but was curious for future use if there was a way to tell if the ResultSet was empty. Looking at the official Java docs it doesnt looks like it is possible.

Upvote 0