Keyboard covers Edittext

amvader

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm somewhat of a newb, sorry. This seems as if it should be easy. The IME post's I have not gone through thoroughly...They seem much more in depth then what I'm trying.

Prob: I have an edittext that won't 'slide' above the softkeyboard. I've seen forum posts dealing with the manifest an ran those examples to some degree. But, my edit texts are in a tabhost which I believe may be a part of the prob.

I've modified the example kbproblem posted originally by Nickkat in the forum to have a tabhost (this is in part what my project has but is 'stripped down') What happens is the edit text on tab1 slides up, but not tab2. Also, tab1 edit text no longer slides if tab2 has had focus before tab1. I've attached the example back as kbproblem2.

Thanks

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think your listview above the edittext view may be preventing the slide. I added one line below your 2 tabhost1 lines and that took care of it. See below:

B4X:
tabhost1.AddTab ("tab1", "tab1") 'load the layout file of each page
tabhost1.AddTab("tab2", "tab2") 
listview1.Visible=False

Upvote 0

amvader

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Mahares and Thanks for the quick reply! I knew it had to be something small. But what implications does this have? Do I have to set visible = false for any views that would be in the way of sliding an edittext up in the same tab/panel/view that is in focus/ or containing the edittext? (I'll experiment w different views/view combos) Somehow I've not found documentation that summarizes this behavior.

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
The main reason I created custom keyboard code was that the sliding (default) keyboard was causing problems in my app.

With a custom keyboard, you can create a smaller keyboard and/or split the keyboard and/or place the keyboard anywhere you want on the screen so that it will not get in the way. The down side is that it's a bit of work to implement, so it might be overkill in your situation.

Upvote 0

CaffeinatedTech

I'm having the same problem. It wasn't clear what the fix was here? you had a view that was blocking the scroll effect somehow?

I have two tabs on a tabhost, clicking edittext box on first tab makes the control scroll up when the keyboard appears. Clicking an edittext box on the second tab does not. Keyboard slides up and covers the control that has focus. Once that has happened, the first tab doesn't work properly either.

-- EDIT --

This solved it, never mind. http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...keyboard-covering-entry-field.html#post162811
Had to tweak the manifest

Last edited:
Upvote 0