B4R Question LCD screens that are compatible with B4R?

Discussion in 'B4R Questions' started by Kevin, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member Licensed User

I know there is a library for LCD or OLED screens but from the videos and examples I've seen, they seem a bit small and do not seem to take advantage of higher resolutions.

It looks like my plan to use 4-digit LEDs isn't working out as planned due to lack of a functional decimal point.

It would need to display something like this:

If it is a wider display (as opposed to square), I could move some things around to accommodate that, but I really would like for each line of text to be at least 1/2" high and readable from around 8' away. Also, something that uses minimal pins and will work with my NodeMCU ESP-12E. I probably have maybe 4 pins to spare, though I could use more if I repurpose Tx & Rx.

Any recommendations? These modules are fairly cheap but as of now I have a pile of various 4-digit LED modules that I may never use, and I hate to just add more crap to that pile. :D

2. tigrot

tigrot Well-Known Member Licensed User

3. derez

derez Expert Licensed User

4. Kevin

Thanks for the replies. I think for now I will try a 20x4 LCD display. I am hoping the display will be bright enough to read in bright sunlight. :cool:

The touchscreen option sounds nice, but as this will need to be relatively weather resistant, I intend to put this all in a project box and put a clear plexiglass window on the front. With this in mind, a touchscreen would be overkill and non-functional.

If this doesn't suit my needs (unable to read in bright sunlight), has anyone ever managed to get their hands on a 4 digit LED display that is at least .56" tall and has working decimal points?

5. BillMeyer

BillMeyer Active Member Licensed User

Kevin likes this.
  6. Kevin

For now I've got a 20x4 LCD module on the way. But I will definitely keep that in mind! One of the problems I am facing (or at least concerned about) is knowing what various modules will work with all available internal or external B4R libraries, especially after I had issues with a particular 4 digit LED that wouldn't work at all with any existing libraries even though it used the same chip. Is there a post or thread here that maintains a list of all various modules that have been confirmed to work with each library? If not, perhaps it would be a good idea to start such a list. I'm certain that I am not the only one who has run into a problem getting a module to work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice