Java Question Library makers, tell us what you want!

trinode

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey, there's several libraries out there that I'd like to use, but almost noone says what license / what attribution (if they want to use the default CC license).

Not wanting to put myself on a legal grey area, I'm not using b4a to it's fullest (using libs) until I know what I should be doing from a legal point of view, I'm sure others would like this clarification too.

The default license says we should give attribution in the manner requested by the author, we need to know what that is, or if you're not bothered, tell us that too!

Let us know :)

- Anthony

Last edited:

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This has been discussed before: http://www.b4x.com/forum/libraries-...notice-about-libraries-license.html#post70702

If you want to ensure that any app you create complies with licence terms and conditions of any library used you'll have to research each library that you use - unless a library you use has actually included exact licence terms (pretty uncommon).

Some libraries are obviously just wrappers for native Android classes and no special action is required.
My Geocoder and WebViewExtras libraries for example are just wrappers around native Android classes, the CC licence applies here to my code.
The native Android classes require no attribution i'm sure as they are just a standard part of the Android operating system.

Some libraries are wrappers for 3rd party Android or Java libraries and you'd have to research these.
Find the original 3rd party library that has been wrapped and find out what licence applies.

Lastly some libraries are not wrappers but just code that a developer has written to do a specific task - again the CC licence applies here.

Until some sort of standard is established in the creation of B4A libraries i think the only way you can be sure that your app complies with any required licence terms is to do some research and find out if your app is using code which requires special action.

Martin.

trinode

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the reply,

My point is there is an assumption that the CC applies, but noone specifies what they'd like as attribution. (the CC license says we must attribute you in the way you specify)

What I'm asking for is for the library authors to either say "for any use of my libray please mention me in your about app or similar screen" or "please mention me in your application documentation" or "just stop by on here and let me know what you used it for (no attribution required)"