B4R Question Long distance measurement

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
HI, All

HC-SR04 sensors are ultrasonic and declared everywhere that can measure up to 4...4.5 meters max.
But is there any Arduino-applicable (low cost) distance sensors that can measure up to 10...15 meters ?

It's OK for any tolerance\resolution and wide "near dead zone", but long distance measurement is needed.
Any solution, suggestion ?

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
This might be useful to you...

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
If I were you I would ask chat gpt and check in alldatasheets.com what it will propose.

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was me already and learned all possible distance measurement technologies, chipsets and so on.
No ready cheap tiny long distance solution at all :(

It's just sensor for school, but ... not 4m, but 10m is required. But no honest (real 10m) ready solution.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was me already and learned all possible distance measurement technologies, chipsets and so on.
No ready cheap tiny long distance solution at all :(

It's just sensor for school, but ... not 4m, but 10m is required. But no honest (real 10m) ready solution.

I do not know what you are about to build but if you want to measure presence what about measuring sideways. I mean if you are trying to measure the distance between the right side of the screen and someone that appears on the left side a good workaround is to place a measuring device in the lower side of the screen right next to the lower left corner. If someone appears on the left side then this measuring device will know it already. For presence a PIR sensor would be also suitable. If you explain the concept someone might think of something and help you in this.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
A cheap workaround also would be multiple PIR sensors.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Or multiple distance sensors and trigonometry as in the previous post.

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just distance measurement for school lessons. Not PIR movement detection.
Multisensor of 12-15 channels (physics, biology, chemistry ), one is the rangefinder. But 10m is needed, not regular 4m.

Strange that no ready solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
They do other ones that measure up to 40M, plus they are I2C and there are examples for Arduino too.
Admittedly they are a tad expensive, but only just noticed the 'low-cost' part of your query.

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the 'low-cost' part of your query
Most of popular HW for Arduino - is low-cost. So, why to want costlier.
But strange that no "easy googling" popular solution for 10-15m.

Ultrasonic meters always depend on the sensor itself, working as US loudspeaker and receiver. Industrial sensor-components, say Murata, are all 10...16 mm, for 3...6 meters.
I've seen some reference device were some custom ultrasonic meter is built-in, and there is some unique 30 mm sensor. And this one allows to declare 10m.
But the circuit is also custom, with opamps, variable resistor to setup.... not a ready-to-use module.

Laser ones, i think, are not for school, even if low power, better not to touch, IMHO...

Last edited:
Upvote 0