Looking for a cheap, reliable VPS this Black Friday thru Cyber Monday?

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
https://www.hostwinds.com/907-6.html

I currently have 5 VPS from Hostwinds. I bought them during the BF sales - when they are affordable for me (ie. us poor developers). They are always up and do the job I expect. Mine are Ubuntu servers - which originally I knew nothing about (except reliable - Linux). Google taught me everything I needed to know on how to configure and manage a Linux server.

If you need a remote VPS to host and test your beta (and production) apps, check out these guys.
I am an affiliate and only post this because of my exceptional experience with this company. I want to let you guys know of what is available - and recommended it, from users like me.

When you are developing and all costs are a big factor, this may help to keep them affordable.

Thanks

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use digital ocean which is $20 a month regular price which has a better bandwidth cap for hostwinds $39.99 tier.

I just jumped on the $16.00 price, but I didnt realize thats only for 1 month then it jumps to normal price. Just cancelled.

But I would do what I did back in the day, run your own little cheap server box and use a static IP VPN, or use a dynamic DNS service if you have your own IPVX address (Small ISPs use NAT)

Last edited:

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hummmm,

I purchased for two years a plan at discount rate - paid in full for the two years...
Which plan did you attempt and for what term (paid in full or monthly terms)?

With your info, I shall investigate with Hostwinds...

Last edited:

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
but I didnt realize thats only for 1 month then it jumps to normal price
What was I thinking? The plans are priced per month! You can buy 1, 2 or up to 36 months for that reduced price - when you pay for the term!
That makes sense....

Thanks

Last edited:

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just wanted to do monthly and not pay up front, thats where they get you.

If they could lock in a year or more at the reduced rate while paying MONTHLY for that rate, then THAT is a deal....

Anyways, I have an HP workstation/server that has dual 8-core Xeons, and 48GB of RAM so thats enough horsepower for anything, sadly the internet here sucks which is why I have to rely on datacenters (VPS)

its $300 a month for 10Megabit fiber, and its only available at the shop. Houses here like mine only get ADSL which is 4Mb at the best of times. Welcome to the boonies.

Last edited:

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yep, thats because the ISP has a stronghold around here. there are Zero alternatives except for Cellular, but those networks are overloaded around here because the towers are spread thin. Welcome to western north carolina.

The DSL lines, and the local cable company are both oversubscribed, exceeded their network capacity.

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yep, thats because the ISP has a stronghold around here. there are Zero alternatives except for Cellular, but those networks are overloaded around here because the towers are spread thin. Welcome to western north carolina.

The DSL lines, and the local cable company are both oversubscribed, exceeded their network capacity.
Which country are you talking about ?
( 10mbit fiber for $300 ? )