B4R Question LoRa questions

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I have been reading about LoRa (again) and thought it would be interesting to do some tests with this.

But I have some questions about it.

First of all which boards work with B4R?
I saw Erel's post about an RF/LoRa board but there are already better boards available with better antennas/reach (like the CC1101 to name something).

How do 2 or more of these board connect to each other? is that on some kind of mac address with a password?
if not everyone could capture the data, not?

How well do these work indoor?
Is it like cell phones that you might need to go near a window to get a working signal when the other antenna is in another building on the domain?
Is a lower frequency better to get through walls?

any experiences would be great because for example theoretical distances are not really the same in real life cases.

janderkan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Lora is open, but you can just create your own protocol.
One board on my desk with a 20 mm antenna and another in my hand with the same antenna, i can reach at least 2 Km

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
what board are you using?

and how does it perform when you have cascading walls, fireproof doors ?

Upvote 0

janderkan

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am using a lora module connected via SPI to UNO, Esp8266 and ESP32
No experience with fireproof doors but from my desk to a handhold module in a forrest the reach is 500m

Upvote 0

Jpiti

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello sorex,

the range depends on many different factors (TX power, baud rate, tophographie, frequency etc.).
Just look at google for "link budget calculator".
I have with favorable conditions 5km range reached.
I had LoRa modules that communicate with the Arduino (in my case Arduino pro mini) via UART.
The LoRa modules that I used were configured via an escape sequence.

Upvote 0