Major Internet outage in some African countries

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
For two days and counting, Internet usage has been a hustle in some African countries due to a cut in the Submarine fibre optic cable linking Europe to Africa. This undersea cable, according to reports comes from Europe and Portugal passing through Senegal, through Ghana's coast down to South Africa.

Here in Ghana we are greatly affected, having 90% of the countries Internet affected. Major Telcos are switching to their redundant lines but some websites and social media pages are still down.

Comment your country and if you are also affected by this outage?

GItq5w7XkAAsqLd.jpg

Last edited:

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have experienced some minor problems in South Africa - especially with speed...

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
As @BillMeyer says some speed issues and/or strong latency. As far as I know we have feeds down both the West and East Coasts and it may be that because of that we have not had similar service disruptions to those on the West coast. I think the primary feed is down the east coast via Kenya to Durban.

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Talk about having ones egg in one basket hey...

<JOKE>
Probably better than having one egg spread across more than one basket.
</JOKE>

But South Africa apparently has ten baskets, so if you have more than two eggs then they should mostly be ok:

2Africa2024
Africa Coast to Europe (ACE)
Eastern Africa Submarine System (EASSy)
Equiano
Meltingpot Indianoceanic Submarine System (METISS)
SAFE
SAT-3/WASC
SEACOM/Tata TGN-Eurasia
T3
West Africa Cable System (WACS)

Last edited:

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Not much but Ghana has 5 which unfortunately four major ones were affected (ACE, MainOne, SAT-3 and WACS). Glo1 was ok

Currently, the situation has improved improved and the Major Telecommunications networks like MTN and Telecel (Formerly Vodafone) has secured more capacity from their international partners.

GItkjw7WYAAO0h5.jpg