making B4PPC portable

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys

Is it possible to make B4PPC portable?

I would like to "Install" it into a Flash drive and have it run from there, using it in various PC's...
This would eleminate the need of syncing two or more folders...

Has anyone ever tryied?

dennishea

Licensed User
I would think the registry on pc and then when you goto register it, is b4ppc locked into the one you registered it on or can you move about with it? That would be one possiable holdup. One test for the handheld would install on sd and try it on another one and then it depends on erel weather you can have multiple stations for one user or just one station.

p.s. I'm sure you've already have thought of these possiablitys. It is a interesting question. I've always woundered maybe now I'll get to know.
I hope your answer is yes cableguy.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What I'm Talking about is a flash drive intalled and running B4PPC, so you just needed to run B4PPC as you would in a "normal" desktop computer... bit like a Live CD....
I have found 2 articles on how to create a portable app, but it requires some scripting, and I'm not too familiar with that, so It seems to be possible, but it will take some time to figure...
Unless some other kind user attempts it...

Standa

Licensed User
Longtime User
Portable Basic4ppc is very interesting idea. I get my first usb flash disk on this Christmas :-D, and I am discovering beauty of portable apps right now. It is possible to find any apps on any computers, but I know nobody who knows what the B4P is :), so nobody has installed it. And my notebook is too heavy and expensive to take it everywhere...

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Shoosing the usb stick as the destination to isntall, will render B4ppc portable..
The down side is that the file association will not work on other PCs...

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
Shoosing the usb stick as the destination to isntall, will render B4ppc portable..
The down side is that the file association will not work on other PCs...

This probably has to do with the fact that the file association is maintained in the registry

Have you tried "thinstall" ?

I'll give it a go again, I've tried this before and i think it worked
but I cannot find the app folder... my PC is a mess :(

-=edit=-
Just tried with 6.50 and it works with thinstall, it just generates 1 exe, now the trick is to keep the lib folder
-=edit2=-
hmm... apparently they are also included :)

Last edited:

twisted

Licensed User
Longtime User
i have installed it on my memory card and its working fine, just needed a card reader/usb port.