MemMaker - Memory management in CF.NET

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Here is a very interesting article about the memory management in CF.NET and how to make the most of it:

Article

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Note that this only applies to WM 5.0 and earlier. WM 6.0 and later have a different memory model Windows CE 6 Memory Architecture Note also that this is a virtual not a real address mapping scheme so a real memory page (4Kb on WM) is only mapped into an address space in a slot if it is required so no real memory is wasted but there is a 32MB limit of address space for a single application.

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Agraham for the clarification which I was not aware about.

The article was published recently so I thought it was related to WM6 as well. In any case, it would probably be difficult to use the tips suggested in Basic4PPC - most likely Visual Studio would be needed since libraries needs to be created.

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The article was published recently so I thought it was related to WM6 as well.
You are correct and I am wrong. Reading up on Windows CE development (I've got a Windows CE 5.0 based netbook on order) I realise that of course Windows Mobile 6.0 and 6.1 (and 6.5 when it is released) are based on Windows CE 5.0 and so are still subject to the 32MB per process limitation. It will be Windows Mobile 7 that will lose it as it will be based on Windows CE 6.0.