Android Question Memory / Variable question

joneden

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi All,

I have a shared code module that I use to store a lot of application variables such as icon names, standard dimensions, colours etc. As this list of the variables (and some constants) grows I am starting to ask myself if a list of variables is the best bet.

For memory concerns would it be better to create these as functions that return the value rather than variables?

Not knowing the way they are stored in memory I don't know which is best...

Thanks for any advice.

Regards

Jon

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unless I am missing something or misunderstood the question, there should not be perceivable memory differences on where are you declaring your vars. The big difference I see is in code readability/maintainability

If your number of vars/constants is growing a lot, what I would do is to "group" these vars into types/structs (for those of them that makes sense), for instance create a type for all your vars/constants related to the UI of your app

B4X:
Type tUIVars( BackColor as Int, ForeColor as Int, IconName as String,....)
Dim myUI as tUIVars

'...
Dim p as Panel
'...
p.Color=myUI.BackColor
'...

or even encapsulate them in classes would make sense if there are assotiated functions which involve these vars.

Upvote 0

joneden

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the response.

That's a good idea about the types. I think that I'll give that a try.

Regards

Jon

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
For memory concerns would it be better to create these as functions that return the value rather than variables?
The memory impact of such variables is insignificant.

A single bitmap can take a few megabytes of ram. Lets say 4mb. This is equivalent to about 1 million integer variables. You should choose the simplest solution.

Upvote 0

joneden

Licensed User
Longtime User
haha put like that it does get it into perspective :)

I'm too used to having to penny pinch because of underpowered devices (rugged units running 4.4.3)!

Upvote 0