Mobile power supply hack

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
I want to use a 5 VDC supply for an LG G Stylus mobile, but I want to remove the battery and only use this external power supply
and use the phone as a microcontroller.. if I left the battery inside of course it will work, but the battery in a few months may become
unusable, blocking the external power supply, or worse it may explode.
Anyone who can suggest a solution, even theoretically (but can work) will get a donation.

aidymp

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
I want to use a 5 VDC supply for an LG G Stylus mobile, but I want to remove the battery and only use this external power supply
and use the phone as a microcontroller.. if I left the battery inside of course it will work, but the battery in a few months may become
unusable, blocking the external power supply, or worse it may explode.
Anyone who can suggest a solution, even theoretically (but can work) will get a donation.

does this work?

##5473784236368 call

H/W test > Bypass booting > Charging bypass boot > choose the pseudo LT

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
does this work?

##5473784236368 call

H/W test > Bypass booting > Charging bypass boot > choose the pseudo LT

Hi aidmp,
Thanks and sorry but I am not following.. would you please elaborate a little bit.
I want to put the mobile in remote location to run for a long time on external power supply, because using battery is not so good for this kind
of project that's using a mobile as a controller.
1- Do I need to solder the power supply wires in the contacts inside the phone where the battery is plugged? but these accept 3v not 5 v. (I believe)

aidymp

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi aidmp,
Thanks and sorry but I am not following.. would you please elaborate a little bit.
I want to put the mobile in remote location to run for a long time on external power supply, because using battery is not so good for this kind
of project that's using a mobile as a controller.
1- Do I need to solder the power supply wires in the contacts inside the phone where the battery is plugged? but these accept 3v not 5 v. (I believe)

Hi sorry for not being clear, on my LG in the phone keypad enter the above ##5473784236368 and press call it takes me to a menu follow these prompts and I can use the phone without the battery in using the USB charger!

It may work on your LG model too!?

Thanks

Aidy

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi sorry for not being clear, on my LG in the phone keypad enter the above ##5473784236368 and press call it takes me to a menu follow these prompts and I can use the phone without the battery in using the USB charger!

It may work on your LG model too!?

Thanks

Aidy

Thanks, but my LG has no service and I want to use it as a controller only.. no phone service so I get the voice msg saying there is no service and that I can't call..

Roycefer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can you not find a replacement battery on eBay or something? That would be the simplest solution.

If not, it should be a straightforward matter of putting a 3.3V (or whatever voltage the battery puts out) switching regulator in between the 5V power supply and the battery terminals in the phone. Make sure the regulator you choose has more output current capacity than the battery it is replacing. This will require some soldering. Many phones will have a third battery terminal. This is typically for a temperature sensor that the phone uses to monitor battery health. You can either feed it a dummy signal or use a real temperature sensor. You should consult the battery's datasheet for details on the protocol used.

Some additional thoughts: make sure the switching regulator you use is "complete". That is, it smooths out its output voltage internally. If not, you will need to smooth it out yourself with some capacitors in parallel. You'll want a switching regulator over a linear regulator as it is much more efficient and the heat output is quite small. This will be better for low-power long-term operation. If you can't find a regulator with a large enough output current at a reasonable price, you can use two or more in parallel.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Can you not find a replacement battery on eBay or something? .

Thank you Roycefer,

You may have noticed that I wanted to remove the battery (it's a very good battery) for the reasons I mentioned.. but the information you mentioned is very good and helpful.. Main point: (Use 3.3 VDC power supply with adequate output current and apply some signal to the third pin).

Got it.. very thoughtful. thanks

tigrot

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have an old smartphone I use connected to the charger. I use as a SMS relay server and a Dynamic DNS updater. I started one year ago and it worked for this period connected only to the office's wi-fi with no service without the need to restart. It's cold and quiet !

Ciao
Mauro

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are a few alternative that come to mind....

Use a 5V "normal" charger or any other kind of PSU, connect a StepDown BUcK Board, This will level the Voltage from the 5V to any other required (adjustable from about 2 to 5V), You can connect it by a dummy battery thing;
Keep in mind that you may need some kind of UPS system, to account for power faillures.

KitCarlson

Licensed User
Longtime User
Power it via the USB connector. There are USB chargers that do just that. They supply 5V current limited.