Most expensive air ticket I bought in China

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
After booking and purchasing the ticket, I received a confirmation notice on my Nokia cellphone. That was in 2008. The message said thank you for pay one billion and two hundred and twenty million Yuan, which is equivalent to about $175,000,000 (one hundred and seventy five million Dollars only)
this VIP ticket number is blacked out.

AirTicket.jpg

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you sure you didn'y buy the airplane instead of the flight?
That reminds me to check my credit card balance..who knows, maybe they sold me an hotel instead of a night stay on my last vacation. Eheh

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No udg.. I even had no intention to buy an airplane in China. That's not my priority.
When I fisrt came to China in 2006 I thought, wrongfully, that Chinese don't know arithmetic or how to count.. But later I
Learnt that they have differnt counting system (not number system) than ours.. When we reach 9999 we say ten thousand.. But they have a name for10,000 that's WAN (pronounced ONE). So eleven thousands is WAN thousand. This is just an example.. try to ask a Chinese friend What's 200 times 200 and you will be in diplomatic crisis.. even if he is PhD in math, he will take nearly a minute to recalculate and convert from Chinese system to western.

Last edited:

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Each day we learn something new! Thanks Beja.

BTW, 200 x 200 = 40000, do they write it as "WAN four", i.e. 4 times WAN ?

udg

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Each day we learn something new! Thanks Beja.

BTW, 200 x 200 = 40000, do they write it as "WAN four", i.e. 4 times WAN ?

udg

Give me one minute :)

40000 is 'four wan', or 'Si Wan' in Chinese (Si means 4)

Forty thousand = 四 万

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
After booking and purchasing the ticket, I received a confirmation notice on my Nokia cellphone. That was in 2008. The message said thank you for pay one billion and two hundred and twenty million Yuan, which is equivalent to about $175,000,000 (one hundred and seventy five million Dollars only)
this VIP ticket number is blacked out.

View attachment 48150

i cant believe that u r using such an old nokia as a b4x developer o_O

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i cant believe that u r using such an old nokia as a b4x developer o_O

Note the year 2008.. I joined B4A later.. but even for other uses I was very late to adapt to the new smartphones.. I must admit I
didn't like for a few years the phone without keyboard.. I worked in a company in China and in the meeting I put the smart phone, which I bought specifically for that purpose, on the table so people know I am a modern person, but I use the old Nokia! Only around 2010 that I started to use smartphones.