B4R Question Necessary hardware to doorbell

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi everyone:

No idea (yet) about Rpi, arduino, etc... but I'd love try something, and I'm reading tons of things.

What I'd like to do in my job:
1.- Someone rings the doorbell.
2.- Something (arduino? raspberry?, ESPxxxx?) gets the signal and I send to some mobile phones a notify (MQTT or Firebase)
3.- Click in the notification, my app opens, and then I click a button and send a signal to open the door.

Later I'll try something more:
1.- Someone rings the doorbell.
2.- Something get the signal and send a signal to an old cellular to take a picture (mqtt I guess)
3.- The picture is sent to my mobile phone with the notification than someone is ringing
4.- I could send a voice message to the old cellular (with the walkie-talkie sample)...
5.- I open the the door.

First of all I was thinking in a raspberry, using the GPIO, using it as mqtt server, etc... but now I think it could be with cheaper hardware.
I saw the "Using Firebase to send notifications..." and it looks it use a simple hardware.

Obviously I don't need you tell me all the hardware I need (reles, ...), but almost the basic modules to buy a kit or something like that.
Thanks for reading and for your suggestions.

MikeSW17

Licensed User
While the bell is undoubtedly 240v (from the specs), and contains no transformer (from an answer to a customer question). it does NOT confirm or repute the voltage(s) used to switch/trigger the bell are 240v or and other voltage. No circuit or wiring diagram seems available, so you MUST confirm all voltages yourself - obviously carefully.

Upvote 0

thetahsk

Licensed User
Longtime User
While the bell is undoubtedly 240v (from the specs), and contains no transformer (from an answer to a customer question). it does NOT confirm or repute the voltage(s) used to switch/trigger the bell are 240v or and other voltage. No circuit or wiring diagram seems available, so you MUST confirm all voltages yourself - obviously carefully.

Have you really read the technicals specs:
https://www.conrad.com/p/friedland-581077-bell-apparatus-230-v-max-100-db-a-red-612688

upload_2019-3-17_12-59-53.png

Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
Yes I did read this spec and several others. If you're referring to me quoting 240v instead of 230v, then let's call it a typo - or just me using the 'standard' UK mains value.
Regardless, the cautions I give are just as valid.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For those who don't know what the IP grading stands for, it classes the electrical and electronic devices according to their "resistance" to harsh conditions of dust and moisture. A smartphone graded IP68 (quite common these days) can withstand heavy dust environment as well as being submerged for about 30m up to 50cm deep.
IP67 however, although having the same dust resistance can only withstand water splashes like being used under light rain.
SO, IP20 means it can take "some" dust without affecting it's functionality, BUT 0 tolerance to wet environments!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi everybody again¡¡

Sorry for delay, I've just received the 3.3 relays I ordered to test.
My original question was: "Necessary hardware for doorbell" but obviously my question should have been: "Necessary hardware for MY doorbell"
The "main" hardware I need as you recommend, was an ESP8266wifi. I didn't know if I would need an arduino, a RPI or whatever. So my first surprise was "really? just a 7 € hardware?"
Ok, It seems the rest of hardware I will need will be 3 relays. A 220v relay for the doorbell, and two 3.3v relays, one to open the personal door, and the other one to open the garage door. The garage door will be very easy to open, because I just need to connect two wires to the open button of the remote.

My second surprise have been how easy have been everything thanks to this forum and your support. Just trying some samples, I have just copy/pasted some of them, and everything have worked (lucky man this time).

Send you a small video. Sorry for the quality, I've recorded it with an old android phone with whatsapp cam recorder to not make a big video.
I know I have to change some things (add a delay to the open contact and close it after 1 or 2 seconds to open the door, etc..., change my phone access pin code because now you need to guess just 3 of the numbers...) but I'm just too excited right now and I want to share.

I will share a more detailed video with more quality when everything will be working...

Next step (after make my app more beautiful) is try to read images from our security camera to show in the app, but this will be another story...

Video is low quality but too big for the forum, so...

Upvote 0

thetahsk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good Job. Especially the amazing "Ding Dong". How do you interfacing the "Ding-Dong" to the ESP8266.
Do you have implant neural interface yourself or in hospital. ;)

Upvote 0

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hehe, I was waiting for some joke about the "ding-dong" effect :) I've recorded "ding-dong" from James Earl Jones, then I converted it to the proper format with a proprietary software of the doorbell manufacturer, and with the same software I've uploaded to the doorbell via RS-232 :cool:

Upvote 0

thetahsk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hehe, I was waiting for some joke about the "ding-dong" effect :) I've recorded "ding-dong" from James Earl Jones, then I converted it to the proper format with a proprietary software of the doorbell manufacturer, and with the same software I've uploaded to the doorbell via RS-232 :cool:

563bee84187c5.image.jpg

Upvote 0

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hehe, btw, I made the sound because to make it work, I had to quit a small resistance the doorbell had to power the light, so you may think the doorbell is not working.

I read it some place in an Arduino forum, and a workmate confirm it to me

Upvote 0