Android Question Need Advice On setting up online database

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am seeking advice on the best way to set up an online database. This is a free project for a non profit so I would like to find hosted online storage for free if possible. The bulk of the data will be in a table I would estimate could grow to about 1-2 million rows of about 200 bytes each so not a big DB. I would estimate access would be a few hundred queries per hour max returning an average of less that 50 rows.

I will write a B4A app to access the data via the internet.

I started reading about online storage with Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and others. Some, like Google offer a free tier but they start talking about regions and egress and Class A transactions and multiple regions and I am lost.:eek:

Ideally what I would get here is a pointer to an example app with both front and back end examples and a recommendation for a place that could host that back end example.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I will give you some free advice @MrKim, free online databases are 99.9% rubbish and extremely slow, I would stay well away from them. Try to find a cheap paid service on a shared Linux server, that way you can keep the costs down but still end up with a half decent database service and speed.

I've not looked in Google, Amazon, Microsoft etc as I'm not interested in them as I have my own online database servers for my clients. But the free online MySQL servers you can find online are mostly terrible and you should really try stay away from them.

But that's just my thought's, I'm sure others will say to use google, amazon or M$.

Hmm thanking about it, have you looked into Firebase Database from Google...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree with @Peter Simpson

What you are probably looking for is something like this https://hetzner.co.za/web-hosting/ which is around $7 for 5 super fast MySQL databases.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to run jRDC2 here, but there are other means of access that you will find on this forum and plenty of help from it's members.

AND

Mr Simpson forgot

Enjoy...

Upvote 0