Need guidance on a new project...

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

I've been asked to create an app, B4J & B4A, to allow our field techs to keep track of what is still to do, and what has been done in a particular assignment.

At this moment all is done a bit "on the flow" and at the end of an assignment, the original documentation that was handed to the techs is written allover with notes and other important stuff.
Basically, a Tech receives a bunch of papers dettailling a project and then he implements it, at the end there's a Photo Report that needs to be done.

So, what I aim for is...
Server Side:

- The manager creates the Project Folder and Adds the Basic Info, which is a Schematic and some other info; Sets the time frame and delivery dates as well as the team assigned.

- Based on the Schematic, the app should then add to the folder the correspondent "modules", like info sheets for a particular part of the schematic. this, automatically.

Android Side:

-Push notifications with, what is still to do, and alerting for the delivery time.
- Ability to correct the Base schematic by adding or removing path points.
- Automatically add or remove files related to the added or removed points.
- Upload of the finished project files, along with the Photo report.

This would be the Basis... so where is my problem, you may ask??

Well, a schematic has ONE single departure point and can have several Paths deryving from it, each of them a single PathWay.
Along each PathWay, the can be any amount of Passage Points, and of Stop Point (The last Stop Point of a PathWay would be a Terminus)
Each Passage point has a specific Photo report to be done, as well as each StopPoint (The same for the Terminus)

So, how can I implement this in a dynamic way?

Should I create a list of modules and a "Create Folder" Button to go through the List and adds the Listed Modules?
Or add the modules as the manager adds the Pathways?

Any insight is welcomed

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Something like that....

Giving a very concrete example... Today I finished a Project that had 2 Cables (PathWays);
One went from The PA (origin), passed through a Chamber (passage point) and ended up in another Chamber (Terminus)
The other went from The PA (origin), up a Telelcom Pole (Passage Point), to a Second Pole (Stop Point) and to a 3rd Pole (Terminus)

Yesterday, I had another one, with a single cable, 4 "pass-through" chambers, a Chamber Stop point, another pass-trough chamber, a pass-by Pole and 2 stop point poles. In this one, 1 of the first 4 pass-through chambers was not listed in the schematic, so we had to add it by drawing it in the paper.

What I aim is to create a complete solution, from add the project up to the final Thec Report

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Handling points could be done with a list. Add the points (f.e. PA, Chamber1, Chamber2, Finish). If you need to add points like "Pole" (whatever that is) add it with "InsertAt".

Why a list? It's easy to debug and you can "see" what the app is doing...

Handle it like a pattern (scheme with a version). Adding points at the location where they work will create a new version of the pattern which can be uploaded as the new version for the next time (perhaps the manager must approve it). Take a database (MySql) and retrieve/store the data.

The app could handle it like this:

- get a list (from the server) with the jobs the people have to do for that day
- each job points to a specific scheme/pattern
- download the data of the scheme/pattern (for the list)
- additional data (pics, plans, etc.) will be downloaded, too
- create a folder for the job and store all data in it (sql will be too complicated)

On the server side you could create a manager app (b4j) to create new jobs/schemes/patterns/etc.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I aim for something a bit more graphical, more like a CAD UI