Network - getting the server IP

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi
I'm playing with Wi-Fi network:
I got the devices on the same network using the wi-fi settings of the devices.
I can get the applications of the server and client connected with the help of the users - the server application reports the server's IP, then this is inserted to the client's application and used in this:

Server_IP = textbox1.text
Client.Connect (Server_IP,50000)

When running this type of network between desktop and device using the activesync network the connection is done using this:

client.Connect(client.GetIP2("PPP_PEER"),50000)

Does anybody know what should be used as replacement for "PPP_PEER" as a name for device-to-device network ? (I tried the name of the network which they are connected by but it does not work).

Thanks.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Does anybody know what should be used as replacement for "PPP_PEER" as a name for device-to-device network ?
You could try the device name as found in Start -> Settings -> About -> Device ID -> Devicename. However this doesn't work for me but then I don't really understand how local name resolution is supposed to work on home networks. When I've played with devices I've just used their IP address.

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks.
This way requires to know the device name, it is not simpler than to know the IP.
So I'll continue with the IP.