New to B4X; looking for help to jumpstart a project

SyD

Hello everyone,

I'm new to B4X but an experienced programmer with 20 years of industrial and shop floor automation projects using different languages such as C, Assembly
and LADDER to communicate with PLCs using MODBUS and OPC/UA servers.

Over the last 10 years, my career evolved into management roles so I had to trade programming for Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations.

I recently decided to quit my job, go back to programming and have now found my first potential customer. They have given me a limited amount of time to put together a proof-of-concept which I don't think will be enough if I have to take time to familiarize myself with B4X to the level required to build a proper demo.

I'm looking for someone who could help accelerate things.

Here is a rough description of the functionalities I need:

1 - a B4A app with a preferences pane to enable the user to select from a list of alarms he wishes to subscribe to.
2 - user preferences would be sent to a PostgreSQL DB via web service.
3 - the app would run in background and send its location (LON/LAT) to the DB at intervals.
4 - the app would listen for alerts pushed bt a server and wake up to display the message and offer actions to the user (ex: stop, start, reset, etc)
(I'm thinking MQTT would be good to push to the app but open to recommendations which could be simpler or more efficient..email or SMS maybe ?)
5 - user-selected action would need to be communicated back to the server (an industrial controller (PLC) using OPC/UA. (see https://opcfoundation.org)

I know that if I have a properly structured demo covering all the functionalities required I will be able to fill in the blanks and configure it.

I don't expect it to be free but have limited funds.

I am also looking for a demo reading/writing to a PLC using MODBUS.

Thank you.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. You can use RingtoneManager to let the user choose one of the default ringtones or create your own list with B4XDialog and the B4XListTemplate.
2. Easy with OkHttpUtils2.
3. Apps cannot always run forever in the background. Relevant example: Background location tracking
4. You should use push notifications for this. Quite simple.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If time is constrain, hire someone specialize to deliver the job. You should be more specific on what you are offering. Perhaps the question is you are looking for a business partner in your project or you are looking for an experienced B4X developer. Since you mentioned you are a management type person, I assume you know what to do or play which role.

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sharing experiences: My limited experience into this went only as far as having an sms detection code running in the background that was received from a Xilog machine which was detecting water levels from a water tank. One was able to also query the Xilog and log the responses to the db (SQLite) and then draw graphs based on the data received.
xilog.png

Off course the person I was working with wrote code for the Xilog machine to push a particular form of delimited text and return some form of delimited text to and from it.

The other option also involving sms was for watering a golf course but with set alarms at certain days and certain times. Send text to start the water pump and another to switch it off after some minutes. I still have to explore the rest of the things...

All the best and hopefully you will find someone to help you out.

Noah J

live:noah_3861
Hello everyone,

I'm new to B4X but an experienced programmer with 20 years of industrial and shop floor automation projects using different languages such as C, Assembly
and LADDER to communicate with PLCs using MODBUS and OPC/UA servers.

Over the last 10 years, my career evolved into management roles so I had to trade programming for Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations.

I recently decided to quit my job, go back to programming and have now found my first potential customer. They have given me a limited amount of time to put together a proof-of-concept which I don't think will be enough if I have to take time to familiarize myself with B4X to the level required to build a proper demo.

I'm looking for someone who could help accelerate things.

Here is a rough description of the functionalities I need:

1 - a B4A app with a preferences pane to enable the user to select from a list of alarms he wishes to subscribe to.
2 - user preferences would be sent to a PostgreSQL DB via web service.
3 - the app would run in background and send its location (LON/LAT) to the DB at intervals.
4 - the app would listen for alerts pushed bt a server and wake up to display the message and offer actions to the user (ex: stop, start, reset, etc)
(I'm thinking MQTT would be good to push to the app but open to recommendations which could be simpler or more efficient..email or SMS maybe ?)
5 - user-selected action would need to be communicated back to the server (an industrial controller (PLC) using OPC/UA. (see https://opcfoundation.org)

I know that if I have a properly structured demo covering all the functionalities required I will be able to fill in the blanks and configure it.

I don't expect it to be free but have limited funds.

I am also looking for a demo reading/writing to a PLC using MODBUS.

Thank you.
Hello,

I can help you with your requirement being expert in Mobile Application developer.
Please reach me out at [email protected]
or skype me at live:noah_3861.

Best Regards,
Noah