Nexus 7 (2013) Protection Options

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I bought a Nexus 7 (2013) and want to quickly get some protection for it so it lasts as long a possible. ;) I looked at the protective cases with a Google search and found that my choices are limited, to about 5,950 to choose from. :D Anybody have any recommendations as I have to get 2 as I also ordered a Nexus 7 for my wife. And are all the screen protector films created equal or is it a get what you pay for deal?
Thanks,
schemer

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I got some "generic" cases for my Nexus tabs, similar to THIS, they are durable, cheap and protect the tabs very well.
Thanks for the info. There sure are a lot of choices. It is a nice tablet too. I like mine better than my phone because it is much easier to see and type with. I have even seen cases that have a bluetooth keyboard but I don't think it is necessary but still a cool option.
schemer

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E0PYG3I/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_3p_M3T1_dp_2

I can recommend this case. Don't be fooled by the very cheap price. Its a good quality case that comes with a screen protector and stylus. The stylus isn't much use and I never used mine (lost long ago). The case extends slightly past the corners of the tablet and so offers good protection against drops. I bought two, one for my tablet and another for my son. He's drop tested his several times and it's survived so far.

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E0PYG3I/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_3p_M3T1_dp_2

I can recommend this case. Don't be fooled by the very cheap price. Its a good quality case that comes with a screen protector and stylus. The stylus isn't much use and I never used mine (lost long ago). The case extends slightly past the corners of the tablet and so offers good protection against drops. I bought two, one for my tablet and another for my son. He's drop tested his several times and it's survived so far.
Thanks RandonCoder. I am in the states but I am sure Amazon has that one here too. I found this link and it sure makes shopping more difficult with all the good looking cases.
http://www.androidauthority.com/best-nexus-7-2013-cases-344726/

schemer

edit: I just checked and that one is only about $6.00 US over here but ships from the UK.
Go to Amazon.com

Last edited:

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User

I was looking at the "Poetic" case as it gets good reviews. The rubber or gel type are nice too but sometimes they get stretched out of shape around the buttons or openings. At least the one on my Droid Razr Maxx HD did.
Thanks,
schemer

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Like I mentioned above, the best in my opinion are those "folio" type, the ones I have are magnetic, so no need for latches or buckles or stuff like that, and also auto-locks the device when closed. I paid $8 for mine on Amazon.

Just my opinion.

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Like I mentioned above, the best in my opinion are those "folio" type, the ones I have are magnetic, so no need for latches or buckles or stuff like that, and also auto-locks the device when closed. I paid $8 for mine on Amazon.

Just my opinion.

NJDude,
Yes, I like that style. I don't need buckles and latches. I like the magnetic close. Question: I read about the auto-on feature and something about a magnet not lining up. What are they talking about and how does a magnet turn on the device?
Thanks,
schemer

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have 3 of those covers, all work like a charm.
Ok great. The price is definitely right. I am just waiting on the wife to choose a color etc on a cover like the one you have. Plenty of colors to choose from too. Its just a matter of the final color choice. ;)
Thanks,
schemer

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Neither of my cases have given any problem with the magnetic on/off feature although I read that the design has now been improved due to some people experiencing issues. The automatic on/off feature is something that is built into the Nexus 7.

I have to admit though that I like the ruggedized cases. If I used mine at work (a brake pad manufacturer) then I'd definitely opt for something sealed like that.

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Neither of my cases have given any problem with the magnetic on/off feature although I read that the design has now been improved due to some people experiencing issues. The automatic on/off feature is something that is built into the Nexus 7.

I have to admit though that I like the ruggedized cases. If I used mine at work (a brake pad manufacturer) then I'd definitely opt for something sealed like that.

I will only be using mine at home as I work from home. But I like the Otterbox for my Droid. I mainly bought my tablet for B4A testing as the emulator is slow and the screen is larger than my HD Razr Maxx. The old eyes ain't what they used to be...:rolleyes:
Thanks,
schemer

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well I ordered the Poetic Slim after much looking at the folio choices. The magenta is only $9.95 and the black is $14.95 so I got one of each. I also ordered the lifwtime screen protector 3 pack for $7.95 so we have one to destroy trying to peel the back off and two to install after we figure that part out. :eek: Link below.

Amazon Poetic Case