Now make compiling fun again with my Mac mini

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
Samsung provides their own cloning software which everybody including me says that when cloning from X drive to a Samsung SSD you can't go wrong with it.

Will the Samsung s/w clone multiple partitions though? Looking at the documentation for it (Data Migration v3.1) it says that if the drive contains multiple operating systems the cloned disk may not function properly. Or do you only use it for cloning Windows partitions?

- Colin.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Will the Samsung s/w clone multiple partitions though? Looking at the documentation for it (Data Migration v3.1) it says that if the drive contains multiple operating systems the cloned disk may not function properly. Or do you only use it for cloning Windows partitions?

- Colin.
It clones all partition including the original restore partitions which originally annoyed me.

It's like a bit copy, if you have for example 3 partitions like I do, the Samsung software just clones the whole drive including partitions, I'll gladly show you a screen shot of my multiple partition from my original Toshiba Hybrid drive that came with my laptop. I originally cloned my Toshiba Hybrid drive within 48 hours of getting my laptop 18 months ago onto my spare 1TB 840 SSD, I then cloned it again onto my new 1TB 860 and all 3 partition are still their.

I clean my drives once a month, cache, temp, extra rubbish the lot. I try to keep my laptops free of clutters, but Visual Studio installs lots of files though and is huge.

The answer to your original question is Yes :)

Last edited:

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
What? 2019 and some people are still using mechanical hard drives? :)

Also converted by the SSD brigade I have an SSD in my PC and its really quick and boots up fast too.

I put a 1tb SSD in my ASUS laptop but the laptop has developed a well known ASUS problem and that is that the screen flashes when on battery power only so my ASUS laptop is not very portable which kind of defeats the object :confused:

D

Deleted member 103

Hi,

I have to give a warning today because I noticed the problem yesterday.
I connected the SSD disk as an external disk, when cloning with "Carbon Copy Cloner" the SSD disk is formatted by the Mac as an external disk (Mac OS Extended (journaled)), which is a big problem.

Why? Because afterwards no system update works anymore.

Mac Mojave 10.14.+ expects a hard disk formatted with APFS.
Yesterday I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the operating system.