Wish old debug mode - so useful!

vangogh

Licensed User
Longtime User
The old debug mode we (gratefully) had in v2.71, where when the app went into an error,
It showed the error, the line of code that caused the error and the b4a line number
was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO useful, and the cost was to have the app a VERY LITTLE slower...

it was so useful! (see the attached image)

can it be available again?
(no, the "legacy debug mode" flag in v12.50 is not a solution, as in "release mode" it doesn't work)

Thank you

Attachments

• errore debug b4a 2.jpg
    errore debug b4a 2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 66

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You still have that, directly in the IDE!!
Unless you are taking about release mode...
Otherwise, the app only runs, as it used to, after the debugger connects to the app.
The only difference now is that it is way (to much) more detailed than before, and sometimes the actual culprit hides in the midst of all the error log.

vangogh

Licensed User
Longtime User
as you read, I (we) need it in release mode, as "only the final user will see his on-the-field error"

We had it!
We don't have it anymore
We liked it VERY MUTCH
(not "more detailed" now, as it refers to java, it was directly about the b4a code... a lot more useful)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Your thread title is misleading, as is mention "old DEBUG mode"... that is only possible in debug mode... however, I do believe you can activate debug through USB in the dev options of the device

vangogh

Licensed User
Longtime User
sorry, it seems that I don't make me undestand, Cableguy.

1) version compiled using B4A VERSION 2.71

my final user is in his warehouse. FAR from me. he is working with my app, disconnected from me. he is in his warehouse.
He uses the app compiled in debug mode on b4a v 2.71 (as, maybe you know, the debug version "result_debug.apk" works perfectly on his disconnected device, on any device, IF compiled using old b4a version).
when the app goes into an error the screen shows all the details i need. averything. SO useful.

this is the "old "debug mode - I compiled the app on b4a 2.71, in debug mode because it works on the disconnected device too. The "debug" mode contains addictional code to help you debugging.

2) but now, version 12.50, the "new" debug mode requires I am connected with my pc, so I have to give e "release mode", that misses that addictional useful code.

Well, Cableguy, the "old" debug mode was fantastic. When an error arise, I have all I need to undestand what and where happens

PLEASE Cableguy, don't say again that I don't need it. Please.

my wishlist is to have it again.
Thank you.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
PLEASE Cableguy, don't say again that I don't need it. Please.
I never said you didn't need it, I said that there are other ways of achieving almost the same behavior.
In your initial post, you never mentioned that it was a "end user deployed" debug stack that you wished.
As others suggested, there are ways of getting that debug error stack back to you, even if you are across the globe.
the "old" debug mode was fantastic. When an error arise, I have all I need to undestand what and where happens
Again, this phrasing lead me to think of LOCAL debugging and not a "end user deployment " that can be miles away from you.

But I have to ask... did you jump from v2.71 to v12.50? There were at least 10 other major updates in between!

vangogh

Licensed User
Longtime User
But I have to ask... did you jump from v2.71 to v12.50? There were at least 10 other major updates in between!

(sorry about my insufficient information...)

> did you jump from v2.71 to v12.50 ... ?

yes! :-D
you know, what is working perfectly and have hundreds of installation... why change it? ;-)

Now I really had to upgrade it "only" because my app crashes upon start on android 13 (and never before from android 5 to 12)
But -trust me- no user that uses android "up-to-12" will request the upgrade ;-)
thank you