Old style DLLs

Jess

Licensed User
Longtime User
We have several DLLs for controlling water meters and pumps other unusual devices. They work fine with eVB and eVC but not with Basic4PPC.

I cannot access them with Basic4PPC as the add module cannot see them. Since I don't have and cannot get the source, I need to be able to utilize them as is. The only way we can sell new systems, is to round up some older PPCs from 2002 - 2003 days. This is not good.

Someone suggested a wrapper, but without the source, I am not sure how a wrapper would work.

Any suggestions beside get more modern software and hardware?
Thank,
Jess

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
With Reflector ( I think that's the name), it is possible to peek inside a .net class...
If you can access your dll's with it, them you woill be able to replicate them in a way that B4PPC can use them... or at least create a wrapper..

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Cableguy - They will be native, not .NET dlls, if they are usable by eVB and eVC so Reflector is of no use here.

@Jess - I'm willing to have a look at wrapping them. Presumably you have details of the funtions and parameters in the dlls? If you post one with it's interface details and some source using it I'll tell you if it is practicable.

Why the need for older PPCs? Even though eVB is deprecated I thought the necessary dlls to run such apps were still included in newer PPCs.

Jess

Licensed User
Longtime User
The DLLs contain proprietary protocols for reading and setting up electronic meters. We have a second source for the meters but not the software.

They were produced in 1999 and 2000 when eVB and eVC Ver 3.0 were the tools of choice for PPC work.

I will post one of them with interface details later.

Thanks for the interest.
Jess