iOS Question Oldest version of Mac Mini HW and SW?

Aich

Hi,

First post here and hoping I can get some definitive answers that I haven't yet been able to find with searching the forums.
Some previous posts I found were from 2014 so I am not sure the info within them would still apply.

Coming from a strong VB background I have been familiarising myself with B4X, firstly with B4A.
I have liked the experience and have had no problems testing code produced on 3 different Android devices.

But I now but want to try some code for IOS with B4I.

I really don't currently have much (read any) cash to spare, so I want to be sure I can do this as cheaply as possible.

I have an Ipad Mini 2 with IOS Version 12.5.7 and I am looking to get a used Mac Mini for building and deploying code to that, but not having to spend $99 on the Apple Developer Licence.

So, questions are:

1) What currently is the oldest version of a Mac Mini (HW and SW) that can successfully build code using the latest release of B4I (that I have yet to buy) but would like to avoid the extra cost of the hosted build version if possible at this time. Note I have been looking at a couple of 2012 and 2014 Mac Mini models on Ebay which I could just about afford.

2) Can I definitely build, install and then run stand-alone, an App on the Ipad Mini 2 (IOS Version 12.5.7) without needing an Apple Developer Licence but just using a suitable local Mac Mini?

I don't need to be able to upload Apps to App Store at this point, which I believe needs builds done with a quite recent versions of XCode and Mac OS(?)

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Aich

Thanks Erel.

I thought there was a way to "distribute" an app for testing to an IOS device (that will run normally and not on a simulator) without an Apple Developer Account? No?

Presumably then there is a distribution method that you use, only if you have a Developer Account, that enables installation on an IOS device (that will run normally and not on a simulator), but this would also need a local Mac, or not? If so, then this will need to be able to run Ventura OS with Xcode 15 too? How do you install it otherwise? I have a Windows 10 PC.

BTW I definitely don't want to upload to the App store.

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here!

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I thought there was a way to "distribute" an app for testing to an IOS device (that will run normally and not on a simulator) without an Apple Developer Account? No?
No. With Xcode you can run your app on a device for a few days without an account. You can't distribute without a developer account.

Presumably then there is a distribution method that you use, only if you have a Developer Account, that enables installation on an IOS device (that will run normally and not on a simulator), but this would also need a local Mac, or not? If so, then this will need to be able to run Ventura OS with Xcode 15 too? How do you install it otherwise? I have a Windows 10 PC
You can do everything with the hosted builder (except of running on the simulator).

Upvote 0