B4R Question On/Off Switch?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hi

what would be the best way and safest way to connect a simple on/off switch to a DC 12V that should turn on the whole circuite?
so the DC 12v adapter should be connected to the switch and also to the motors and also power the arduino (with resistor to deliver 5v for the arduino)

is there any example for this?

thanx

1654188626016.png

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Btw i read that u can use up to 20v to power the arduino but it is not recommended to put more then 12v

6 to 20 volts

The board can operate on an external supply from 6 to 20 volts. If supplied with less than 7V, however, the 5V pin may supply less than five volts and the board may become unstable. If using more than 12V, the voltage regulator may overheat and damage the board.

Upvote 0

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
In my opinion using +12V to power the motor and the arduino will create issues.
Don't know if you can get in your local store a LM7805, that option could be the simpler solution for your circuit.

Upvote 0

Filippo

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hi

what would be the best way and safest way to connect a simple on/off switch to a DC 12V that should turn on the whole circuite?
so the DC 12v adapter should be connected to the switch and also to the motors and also power the arduino (with resistor to deliver 5v for the arduino)

is there any example for this?

thanx

View attachment 129904
For my arduino circuits I use such a similar voltage converter:

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You should consider having 2 PSUs, one for 5v Logic and one for 12V hardware.
The Switch can manage both.
If im not mistaken, a DPST Switch would bé petfect for you

Upvote 0