Android Question OpenGL Textures

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
One of the largest issues with B4A is the dreaded OOM (Out Of Memory) error. I began running into this myself, as my application is a heavy image manipulation app. While my issue can be solved by android:largeHeap="True" this is not the best solution for many applications.

While researching, I've discovered that while bitmaps count towards the 16MB/24MB/etc per-app memory limit, apparently OpenGL textures do not.

Is there a way to implement this or use it as a substitute in B4A? Can these textures even be referenced like bitmaps?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
One of the largest issues with B4A is the dreaded OOM (Out Of Memory) error.
This is not really related to Basic4android. Large images require a lot of memory. In most cases you can load the images with LoadBitmapSample and make sure not to load the images multiple times.

About OpenGL: http://www.b4x.com/search?query=OpenGL

Upvote 0

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
In most cases you can load the images with LoadBitmapSample and make sure not to load the images multiple times.

Sadly my case is one of the few where you can't.

I'll take a look at third-party libraries, I was just wondering if this was an optimization of sorts that could be made in the backend, since it's a bit harder for us to manage memory effectively without Reflection.

Upvote 0

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
The NDK is what we use to produce the .so files. You don't have to bother with that. You don't need it.
I understand that, I'm just concerned that those .so files behind the scenes would be compiled for ARM-only, when my app also needs to run on x86 and Tegra devices.

Upvote 0

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
That's not what I meant, but oh well, I guess I'll just have to test it on my multiple devices to confirm my suspicions.

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I understand that, I'm just concerned that those .so files behind the scenes would be compiled for ARM-only, when my app also needs to run on x86 and Tegra devices.
Tegra is ARM.
The three architectures Android supports (by default) are ARM, MIPS and x86.

From what I see in the jar file, it packs all architectures.

Remember 90% (or more) of devices are ARM.
A couple are x86 (I think orange san diego and some lenovo phones).
MIPS probably only a few exist mostly chinese manufactured. I dont know any.

Upvote 0

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
Tegra is ARM.
The three architectures Android supports (by default) are ARM, MIPS and x86.

From what I see in the jar file, it packs all architectures.

Remember 90% (or more) of devices are ARM.
A couple are x86 (I think orange san diego and some lenovo phones).
MIPS probably only a few exist mostly chinese manufactured. I dont know any.
From what I've seen, native code written for other processors (like Snapdragon, Exynos, etc) doesn't run on Tegra devices, and likewise the other way around, even though both have an ARM architecture. Maybe I'm thinking of something else though.

As long as it packs the other architectures then it's fine. I'll look into it when I get some spare time.

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you thinking of THD or Tegra optimized / Snapdragon optimised (for e.g. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ragon.app&psid=2&rdid=com.xiam.snapdragon.app)
Here the manufacturer is using non-standard code (thus as its not part of Android it is usually in C to be hidden) or drivers to access undocumented features of their own chips.
I don't believe so. I'm not really sure where I read this, I must have misunderstood it because I can't find it anywhere online after some searching.

Upvote 0