Optimization Tips in Dev Console

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I saw the following in my dev console for my apps.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

Design your app for tablets

Your APK needs to meet the following criteria:
Target and minimum Android versions support tablets (check targetSdkVersion and minSdkVersion).

Supports common tablet screen sizes (LARGE and XLARGE).

Upload tablet screenshots:
Upload at least one screenshot for 7-inch and 10-inch tablets to the Store Listing.

Designing your app for tablets can help you reach more customers on a wider variety of devices.

On the first two, I'm not exactly sure what I need to do. I know I can adjust the minimum SDK target, but I've never fully understood that option. My apps currently work on just about anything (back to 1.6 I believe) and I don't want to affect that. Also, my app shows it is compatible with "large" screens in the dev console but doesn't mention x-large. What do I need to change to set to do that? While not perfect, my apps do make adjustments based on screen size and whether or not it is a phone or tablet.

Recently a customer told me the app shows as not being compatible with his Asus Transformer Prime but it used to. I know I didn't changed anything and my dev console says it is compatible. It could be a glitch but I just wanted to be sure that I am not blocking my apps from certain devices by not having it configured correctly.

:sign0163:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The default manifest editor code sets targetSdkVersion to 14. You should keep it in almost all cases.

The default value of x-large is True. This means that your app should be compatible with any screen size.

In most cases incompatibilities with tablets are related to permissions such as telephone related permissions.

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wonder if I have outdated settings from having an older project?

B4X:
AddManifestText(
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="4" />
<supports-screens android:largeScreens="true" 
    android:normalScreens="true" 
    android:smallScreens="true" 
    android:anyDensity="true"/>)
SetApplicationAttribute(android:icon, "@drawable/icon")
SetApplicationAttribute(android:label, "$LABEL$")
'End of default text.

So I should change the sdk line to:

B4X:
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="4" android:targetSdkVersion="14" />

Does minSdkVersion need to be changed? And that won't cause older devices to be incompatible?

Where does the x-large = true part go?

My app uses the Phone library but doesn't do anything that would require a phone as opposed to a tablet.

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, after adding these to the manifest I now remember why I didn't do this before... My app relies on menus to access certain features and setting the target sdk that high removes the menu button from newer devices.

I think I need to finally figure out the action bar but from what I understand, in order for that to work you need to have a visible app title bar and my app doesn't have one (by design). Argh!

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
You either need to show a title bar or create and show your own "menu" button whenever you would want the user to be able to access menus in your app.

Upvote 0