PC Security

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
My trial McAfee SecurityCenter subscription is due to expire at the end of the month :sign0060: - I ain't going to renew it!

So there lies my problem, what should I replace it with :confused:

I'd obviously like to take advantage of the freeware programs that are available like AVG but can my forum friends recommend a collection of programs that will secure my PC without taking it over completely or causing it to grind to a halt when booting up.

I'm out this evening (treating the wife :sign0085: ) but will look forward to reading your replies on my return later.

Thanks,
RandomCoder

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Also avast free home edition is a good av...
But accordingly to the lattest polls kappersky is in front.....

dlfallen

Licensed User
Longtime User
I also use AVG and recommend it highly. I can get McAffee for free from my ISP and I still use the free AVG. Both Norton and McAffee slow down you system substantially. I was very impressed with the much faster response times I got when I move over to AVG.

-DLFALLEN

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was most unimpressed with McAfee when they updated the 'Pivacy Service' last year. My internet conection ground to a halt and all the tests provided by my ISP were drawing blanks. I then decided to disable various parts of my AntiVirus and found that the problem was caused by the AntiPhishing filter. I got in touch with McAfee and was surprised to find that they were already aware of the problem but had omitted to let their subscribers know. They suggested that I disable the AntiPhishing filter until the problem was rectified - its still disabled to this day because I've never been told that the problem has been fixed.
I intend on re-installing windows so that all traces of McAfee can be erased from existence.

Regards,
RandomCoder

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Spring Cleanning!!!!
It's the best way, I've got so much junk that I don't use and especially with Anti-Virus software that embeds itself so deep in the system that a good old format and reinstall is really the most effective choice. Anyway windows always runs that bit sharper when newly installed, shame it takes so bloody long to do :(

Getting back on topic though, I've checked out the AVG web site http://www1.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-virus/us/crp/0 and it looks like the free version only contains the Anti-Virus element, there's no Anti-Spyware or Anti-Spam or Firewall :sign0023: , can you recommend any of these :confused: I don't want to have to rely on the windows firewall. What I'd really like to do is get the same /similar degree of protection that I have now but for free :sign0060:

Regards,
RandomCoder

dlfallen

Licensed User
Longtime User
AVG also includes email scanning (in and out) as well as on-demand scanning of executible files and documents.

For spyware I've been using Microsoft's Windows Defender for some time now. It appears to be very effective. I occaisionally run other third party spyware scanners and haven't found anything yet that slipped by Windows Defender.

The best firewall is the hardware one in my router. If you don't have a router, it's worth getting one just for that protection (in my opinion). If you want a software firewall, I think the best freeware out there is ZoneAlarm. Certainly, ZoneAlarm is far better than the Microsoft firewall that comes with your OS.

Finally, I've never met an anti-spam software that I like. Every one I have tried caused me more inconvenience than the spam itself. My ISP (Comcast) does a good job of filtering out a lot of the spam before it ever gets to me. For me, that has been quit sufficient.

Good Luck!

-dlfallen

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for all the helpful advice it's more than gratefully appreciated.

I plan on tackling it this weekend if I get the chance.

Regards,
RandomCoder

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Good Luck (I bet you don't need it, but so didn't GeoTrail when he decided to upgarde the forum...)

PS: Normally I do 2 Xtreme Clean to my PC One in Spring and another in fall, by extreme i mean that i tear it to pieces and back on again after dusting the components...and of course, reinstall OS...

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Once every 18 months is enough for me, you must have a really dusty place :D

I always think how great it is when windows is first installed - why does it have to clog itself up??? You don't even need to install masses of software, it just does it all by itself when booting and shutting down. Defragging regularly etc only just scratches the surface of the problem.

Regards,
RandomCoder.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I live in a 5fth floor with lots of direct sunlight...

yildi

Licensed User
Hi,
My tools for keeping responsive Windows XP are the following (some of them are commercial unfortunately):
-Avast anti-virus Home. I have been using it for years and it has never missed a virus until now (I use on-line checking sites regularly to verify this). It also checks entering and exiting mails. (Freeware for the home version)
- Spam Bayes for Outlook. It is pretty effective and does give very few false alarms. (I have been using Thunderbird for some years but at some point it had problems with attached Acrobat files and this was a serious problem for me). (Freeware)
-PerfectDisk defrag program. Vey effective and quick in comarison with WIndows and complete versions of Diskkeeper. (Commercial soft but effective)
- Pagedefrag for boot time defragmenting of the registry and paging files. I use it on every boot and it is very quick (especially because I run it on every boot) (Freeware from System Internals , now bought by MS but remains FW).
-Spyware doctor v4 (v5 is terribly slow actually). I have tried a lot of them (free and comemrcial ones) and this one does the job. I check on line scans from time to time and my computer seems clean. (Commercial soft from PC Tools).
- Registry Mechanic for the maintenance of the registry (cleaning and compressing registry). Effective, safe and very quick. (Commercial soft from PC Tools - but you can obtain similar results using free tools. like NTOPT and CCleaner)
- I use hardware firewalls (at home and at the university) and the Windows SP2 one.

To keep clean Windows in this hostile world is a full time job but with these tools my Windows speed remains constant even if I do not reinstall evrything every six months (a full installation takes a whole week for me, given the huge number of softs I use for my professional and hobby needs).

I hope this helps.

Murat

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for your indepth reply, I will certainly be finding out more about pagedefrag along with Avast although I think I've got my mind set on using AVG as I've heard many good reports about their anti-virus software.

Thanks once again,
RandomCoder.

Zenerdiode

Licensed User
I know I'm resurecting an old post here, but you guys have helped me so much with my feeble coding; I thought you may benefit from what I do.

I understand what you mean that a totally clean Windows is the best - but takes hours to load and set up the way you like. [All those endless Shutdown and Restarts after every piece of software...]

Firstly, I partition my hard drive with three partitions of 25%, 50% and 25% and name them C: - XP System, D: - Data & E: - Ghost. I then build my clean windows on C: and when finished - do a 'Partition to Image' with Norton Ghost and store the image on the E: drive.

Now if something hits my system; I use 'Image to Partition' and I'm back up to that clean Windows in under 10 minutes. Keep your Ghost Image up to date and clean by doing an Image to partition before loading anything new and re-image straight away if the new software works OK. Another fantastic feature of Ghost is when its writing your image, all sectors are physically written in the correct order - so no matter how badly fragmented your Windows partition was when you imaged; its like it performs a fulldefrag when writing back your image.

Also, all of your data; stored on the D: Data drive, stays intact throughout the above process and lends itself to easy backup to external drives or DVD because its, well, just data.

Christopher

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been running AVG for years and hardly do a scan. No need.
AVG does the updates it's self, and sits in the background.

If anything (virus etc) gets on my system, AVG 'Gets' it and quarantines it :icon_clap:

Spybot and AdAware. I run these every now and again to remove unwanted, not so nasty bits that shouldn't really be on my system.