Android Question PDF

Heinz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
i have make a app for pet chips.
Who can help me with a PDF - reading problem ?
i want to open a editable pdf (Formular.pdf) with acrobat reader on my phone. i have made a menu (Pdf_Click)
for open a pdf (SUB Pdf_Click). if chipnr.pdf does not exists, an new copy from the original (Formular.pdf
to chipnr.pdf) will be created and then i want open it for editing and saving.
the provider want work with this.

The files chips.csv and Formular.pdf i have included in the projekt. (TAB Files).

Who you haelp me ?

Attachments

• PetChips.zip
    90.4 KB · Views: 106

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. You really should give the Thread a useful title. "pdf" is a bad Subject.

2. You can do this with B4J using PDFBox7
As far as i know it is not possible in B4A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you need to use FileProvider if you want to share a pdf with adobe reader on android.

But even if you get it working you´ll run into another problem. How would you get the pdf after the user has edited the AcroForm PDF with AcrobatReader? The user only can save the PDF as a new copy. You´ll get no info about where he stored the new PDF.

I would use a jServer App (B4J), send the csv-Data to the server, combine formular and csv-Data into a new pdf (using PDFBox) and return the PDF back to the calling app (B4A)

Upvote 0

Heinz

Licensed User
Longtime User
oh, you are right.
it is not as of the PC site -> save as (chipnumber.pdf)
open a Formular.pdf (original), edit and then save as chipnr.pdf (276094100290524.pdf)
i want save in File.DirInternal. the app store the chipnumber in a csv (chipnr, name, date)
On a click in the table, get the chipnumber as string and expand it to "chipnr.pdf" (276094100290524.pdf)
so you can re open the pdf or send to PC.

this was my idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heinz

Licensed User
Longtime User
open a Formular.pdf (original), edit and then save as chipnr.pdf (276094100290524.pdf)
i want save in File.DirInternal. the app store the chipnumber in a csv (chipnr, name, date)
On a click in the table, get the chipnumber as string and expand it to "chipnr.pdf" (276094100290524.pdf)
so you can re open the pdf or send to PC.

this was my idea.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
AGAIN (the 3rd and last time):
You do NOT GET the filename and even not the path the user saves the newly generated PDF in. The user can not save it to your Apps DirInternal as he has no access to this folder.
You do not have any control over the path and filename.

You only have control before you open that pdf with acrobat (Path and filename). But not the same on the edited PDF.

Upvote 0