Phone backup and restore

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
This question has absolutely nothing to do with B4X.

Last week my father was asking about how to move to a new phone. I could not figure out where this question came from. He uses an an Android phone.

It would be really nice to be able to backup the configuration of the old phone and restore it to the new phone – so that the new phone has the same apps, app data restored, same settings, and Google account stuff.

I figured out why he was asking about this. His birthday is coming up and he is obviously planting hints :D.

Is something like this available. I can see where there might be security and permissions gotchas.

It would be really nice to plug a flash drive into the old phone USB, run an app, move the flash drive to the new phone, run the app on the new phone and it would install the same apps, their data, and configure settings and Google stuff. The new phone would pretty much be a mirror image of the old phone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Barry.

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can only suggest a possible solution for Samsung phones. We have used Samsung Kies initially for the older phones .. up to S4 I believe.
This has been replaced by Smart Switch for the more recent models .. (nice app, also availiable from google play).

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/

whereas we had a few hiccups whith Kies .. Smart Switch has worked well for a complete / or selective backup & restore.

Samsung also now have Cloud backup/restore service which we have not used.

Of course .. having a google account and enabling full app/contacts/settings etc backup is also effective way to restore same on new phone.

We have always used this opportunity to undertake a bit of 'housekeeping' by removing unwanted apps, photos, music, stuff, sundry things etc
before commencing.

Cheers Ian