Android Question Phone hotspot

Liew

Licensed User
Hi Erel,

I wanted to make use of my tablet mobile hotspot instead of starting a local hotspot that has random SSID and password.

The link below dated back in 2015 will never work on my Android 13 with SDK 33.
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/android-wifi-hotspot-manager.61286/page-2
If I run the old hotspot example, I got these log errors
*** Service (starter) Create ***
** Service (starter) Start **
** Activity (main) Create (first time) **
** Activity (main) Resume **
Scan timing
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'void java.io.BufferedReader.close()' on a null object reference
at main.java.WifiApManager$1.run(WifiApManager.java:157)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1012)

Is they anyway I still can enable or disable my tablet hotspot and check its client connected info.
Please advise.
Thanks.
Liew

Liew

Licensed User
Hi Erel,
I had tried the local hotspot but it is not useable to me as my nearby devices will not be able to connect to it automatically since its SSID & password is random upon startup.

The connection mechanism got to be automatic without human intervention by a preconfigured SSID & PWD.

Is they any work around.
Please advise.
Thanks.
Liew

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
since its SSID & password is random upon startup.
Really! I guess this an Android device you are using as a hotpsot but I have never had one myself that does this. The SSID and password are normally fixed, and altered if required by the user in Settings.
Sorry - I'm wrong for a programmatically started hotspot, it's a security measure. I think you are a bit stuck if the user can't start the hotspot.

Upvote 0

Liew

Licensed User
Really! I guess this an Android device you are using as a hotpsot but I have never had one myself that does this. The SSID and password are normally fixed, and altered if required by the user in Settings.
Sorry - I'm wrong for a programmatically started hotspot, it's a security measure. I think you are a bit stuck if the user can't start the hotspot.
Thanks for your reply. I think the app started local hotspot does not fit my purpose.

Upvote 0