Plane/Train prices

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Riding on a train here in Germany from Cologne to Düsseldorf (about 45 KM) is about 14€ one way. Taking a plane (Ryanair) from Cologne to London is the same price!

It's like "Let's have a beer on friday... Which pub? London... It's cheaper"

Good for travellers - bad for workers and all the other people needing a train ride

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
It will cost you 45EUR to get to London and back to the airport by train.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
BREST 2 PARIS ~500km= 100€ tgv
Paris 2 Porto ~1600km=20€ Ryanair

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you have to fly with Ryan, it's not worth it. Trust me, my father was a pilot, and I still have some inside information on the inner workings of the business. If you care about such things as safety and working conditions, don't fly Ryan.

charlesg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Rail to Rail comparison quite interesting as well. High Wycombe to London Marylebone also about 45km. £13 or EU18. The train operator (Chiltern Railways) is owned by Deutsche Bahn!

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would never travel with Michael O'Leary company Ryanair, well he is actually CEO. Admittedly though, I believe that there has never been a fatal accident with any Ryanair plane, so safety can't be that bad considering how heavily used each plane is. Obviously they have had little incidents like all major airlines do. But I would never travel with them because I dont like their customer service full stop. I also wouldn't travel with Air France and Delta Airlines as both of those airlines have way too many crashed planes over the last 30 years, even the last 10 years.

Anyway, I'm outta here ;)

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My last flight with Delta Airlines from Shanghai to Newark was a nightmare.. no words can describe it but will get the pictures and videos and get back to you.
But I can tell they are very good in mathematics! They managed to keep us in expecting state.. they new we will be there for about 20 hours but never told us.. from delay to delay
and then offered us a hotel until time is near, we accepted and they cancelled our exit visas and returned to the airport exit.. the bus took about an hour.. I pretended generous
and gave my line spot to a lady, missing the first bus.. the second bus came after 2 hours.. ( intimidation but we all insisted to wait!!)
video shows Chinese travelers arguing with company reps.

I will never travel with that company again.

@KMatel
Is the autostop culture still there.. I remember I used this (method).. in 1980, I got outside the city of Bonn to the highway that goes to Frankfurt, then waited in the road side and raised my hand.. that was the only ticket :)

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Some guys still do it but... I've seen to many films where things went bad...

Delta: For that kind of companies we have strict laws here in Europe:

Under (EC) Regulation 261/2004 air passengers are entitled to compensation of €125 to €600 (£105 - £500) per person (irrespective of the ticket price paid) in the event of a flight...

• Cancellation,
  • Delay or
  • Overbooking
:cool:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yeah.. many people has changed since then.. world was more secure and friendly.. it was for the young and students anyways..

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My local station is about 50 miles from London Kings cross, but a peak time return ticket costs: £35.40, which is €49.62

I take a bus from New York to DC (> 200 miles).. the Megabus ticket is about $20. (do the arithmetic for GB pounds)