Poorly laptop

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
Any ideas. Toshiba Satellite Pro A60

I was trying to re-install windows on my laptop because it had a grumbling stomach. The instalation started, then it just switched off.

My C: drive has disappeared and my DVD drive exists, but I can't access it. I think it died during the re-install of windows.

Sorted my C: drive but no Dvd drive.
If I boot from a rescue floppy, it sees the Dvd drive but I get "Abort, Retry, Fail"

Is it possible the motors in the drive have failed, that's why I can see it but not access it ?
Should I buy another drive or might I be wasting my money ?

bdiscount

Licensed User
since its a laptop you should have a recovery cd/dvd have you tried that? its quite costly to replace a hard drive in a laptop, is it new enough to warrant the cost.

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you considered a USB drive?? Can you borrow one from a friend?? I know that some of them are generic and don't need any drivers to work so it's worth a shot and would save you £40.

Regards,
RandomCoder.

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry, :sign0013: I missed a bit.
I've got this thread on 3 different forums :sign0161:

I sorted the C: drive by booting from a rescue floppy and formatting c:
I had to make C: the Primary partition before I could format it.
My system now has no Windows on it, just a Win98 C: prompt
My rescue floppy finds drive E: (dvd) but won't let me access it.
Therefore it also won't let me access my DVD Recovery Disk.

I considered using another PC to transfer the recovery DVD to the USB 5gig flash memory device I own. But my basic dos machine won't find the USB device will it ?

I've gone by instinct and ordered a new DVD drive :cool:

I'll keep you informed ....

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good luck my friend, computers are fickle things. I wish you all the best.

Regards,
RandomCoder

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the flash could work, it depends on the BIOS, if it boots to mass storage or not...Anyway from your comments about the HD, I would go with a MoBo issue or processor....Good Luck, I think you'll need it!!

bdiscount

Licensed User
laptop

There is a bios setup where you should be able to set your dvd as the boot disk enabling the recovery. good luck

bdiscount

Licensed User
ps

you should be able to get into the bios aetup when turn on (del, f8 or what ever they say on screen.

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is a bios setup where you should be able to set your dvd as the boot disk enabling the recovery. good luck

It doesn't matter what sequence I set in the BIOS

finds drive E: (dvd) but won't let me access it.

I should have another drive by Tuesday/Wednesday. Let's hope it was the drive that was faulty :sign0137:

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was right. My CD/DVD drive had died. Got a new ish one off Ebay and I'm back up and running on the big screen laptop

Also got a bargain. My old CD/DVD drive was a slow CD/DVD-RW,
The one I bought was an exact model number but the seller has sent me a faster Multi Recorder CD/DVD - + RW

Bargain Hope he doesn't ask for it back.

Saved me £25 quid.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Great deal...

Glad to ear about your laptop....A quick go to the white coat alway makes us feel better.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
white coat->Doctoe/technitian ( its a Portuguese expression )

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I too have done my PC, what a difference a fresh install of XP makes and with McAfee gone it flies.
Only problem I had was that I was missing one of the drivers, all the system could tell me was that it was an 'unknown device'. After trying every driver and its cousins cousin I finally found it was the 'Intel Quick Resume' driver - what a waste of time!
Oh well, all up and running and looking good.

Regards,
RandomCoder