Android Code Snippet precise timing beats (Metronome)

Long time I was not able to write a precise metronome (a tool for musicians). Playing the beats with SoundPool and a Timer was not accurate at all, because of the timer. Even playing in a own thread was not really precise. Finally I got now a 100% precise solution with the AudioTrack Library. For this code you also need the Threading and the ByteConverter Lib.

B4X:
Sub Process_Globals
    Private i_Milliseconds As Int = 500
    Private ConverterByte As ByteConverter
    Private at_Sound As AudioTrack
    Private b_Sounddata(), b_SoundQuietData(200000) As Byte
    Private SoundThread As Thread
End Sub

Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)

'The Beatsound should be a short mono Wavefile with normal 16 Bit and Samplerate 44.100
    Dim allbytes() As Byte = File.ReadBytes(File.DirAssets, "t2.wav")
    Dim iFirstByte As Int = 44 'first byte after wave-header
    Dim iAnzBytes As Int = allbytes.Length - iFirstByte
    Dim sounddata(iAnzBytes) As Byte
    ConverterByte.ArrayCopy(allbytes, iFirstByte, sounddata, 0, iAnzBytes)
    b_Sounddata = sounddata

at_Sound.Initialize(at_Sound.Stream_Music, 44100, at_Sound.CH_CONF_MONO, at_Sound.AF_PCM_16, 4410, at_Sound.Mode_Stream)
   at_Sound.Play
   SoundThread.Start(Me, "SoundThreadSub", Null)
End Sub

Sub SoundThreadSub
   Do While i_Milliseconds > 0
       'SoundThread.RunOnGuiThread("BeatShow", Null)

Dim iSilinceLen As Int = i_Milliseconds * 2 * 44.1 - b_Sounddata.Length
       at_Sound.WriteByte(b_SoundQuietData, 0, iSilinceLen)
       at_Sound.WriteByte(b_Sounddata, 0, b_Sounddata.Length)
   Loop
End Sub

The metrum means beats per minute, so the milliseconds you get with 60000 / metrum. With a Sub "BeatShow" you can also show the beat in the UI.
The code writes the beats and the silence between it directly to the soundstream.

Last edited:

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
One of the first projects I created with B4a was a metronome, long before the hardware was fast enough to do audio effectively. I created a midi file and played that. Then I created the MidiLib and used that to create midi in realtime. Well done. I'm glad you got it working.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…