Android Question Prevent a screen orientation?

JustinLong

Licensed User
Is there a way to prevent the screen from a specific orientation?

For example, I want to use Portrait and Landscape, but i don't want ReverseLandscape and Reverse Portrait.

Is this possible?

Semen Matusovskiy

Licensed User
If you talk about different activities (let's say activity1 and activity2) you can set in manifest
SetActivityAttribute (activity1, android:screenOrientation, "portrait")
SetActivityAttribute (activity2, android:screenOrientation, "landscape")

Upvote 0

Semen Matusovskiy

Licensed User
I don't know easy way. Non-elegant way is to allow any orientation and to control changes in onConfigurationChanged (or in Activity_Create).
But really I don't understand a purpose. Reverse Portrait typically is disabled by phone settings. Why you are against "reverse landscape" ? what differense to which side the user rotates a phone - to left or to right ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JustinLong

Licensed User
Its a camera app and the controls show up right next to front camera.

I'd thought about changing where the controls were, but I haven't found a way to determine if the screen is in landscape or reverse landscape.

Upvote 0

Semen Matusovskiy

Licensed User
Well, to understand orientation is enough simple. In Activity_Create is possible to retrieve getResources.getConfiguration, field orientation. In addition windowManager ().getDefaultDisplay ().getRotation ().
I can make a test app. But I am not sure that you need to do something by yourself. Take a look Erel's camera based intent.

If you want to do by yourself anyway, look carefully built-in Camera app. it works in Portrait (!). To detect real orientation and to change direction of icons, native camera app uses sensors. I am aware how to do this, because I did Camera activity, but this is enough complex.

Last edited:
Upvote 0