Android Question Problem reinstating apps removed

wdegler

Licensed User
Longtime User
My apps have all been active for a long time but now, unexpectedly, they have all been removed. I received an email about one of them, "Many Banjo Licks", with directions to reinstate it which cannot be followed because the " Primarily Child-directed" options "Yes" or "No" are grayed out so are not selectable.

NONE of my apps are primarily child-directed and none of my apps are in any way objectionable to any audience. Please let me know how to reinstate all my previously published, downloadable apps to make them again available to the public.

Help!

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My apps have all been active for a long time but now, unexpectedly, they have all been removed. I received an email about one of them, "Many Banjo Licks", with directions to reinstate it which cannot be followed because the " Primarily Child-directed" options "Yes" or "No" are grayed out so are not selectable.

NONE of my apps are primarily child-directed and none of my apps are in any way objectionable to any audience. Please let me know how to reinstate all my previously published, downloadable apps to make them again available to the public.

Help!

you may have missed your chance. google sent an email informing developers of its new
requirements regarding their apps' targeted audience. at that time developers were to go to their
app console ---> store presence ---> app content and select the appropriate "yes/no" option.

my understanding is that if you checked "no" or checked nothing because you never took any action,
a google associate would review the app to see if children might be attracted to it... it wouldn't
surprise me to learn that the google associate assigned to your app did not know what a banjo
is, what a banjo lick meant or - worse - whether licking a banjo would be attractive to children.
actually, they seemed to have determined that it would be.

the "ways to resolve the problem" link is frightening and somewhat misleading. my understanding is
that it was meant to be reviewed first, not afterwards. in other words, if google says your app is
attractive to children, it's too late for you to go back and simply check the "no" box. you'll
have to contact them to appeal your case.

Upvote 0

wdegler

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there anyone who doesn't know that a banjo is a musical instrument known and played worldwide?
An associate would only have to run the app and press "Info" to see exactly what a banjo is and does.
How exactly do I reinstate my dozen apps?
Who do I contact?

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
The title of your app itself is questionable and misleading to anyone who doesnt know your app, Just like myself. "Many Banjo Licks"....

What does that even mean?? Who licks a banjo? its not a lollipop....

Upon first reading to me, it seems like a game right away. So I guarantee Google thought the same. And boom. your done.

At this point, the only thing you can do is contact Google. Thats it.

Upvote 0

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i'm tempted to say, try "hey, google", but obviously you're upset. it took me weeks to figure out how to get in touch with amazon a few years ago. you'll have to google "how to contact google". seriously. you don't even know if an actual person reviewed your apps. but if 2 strangers on this forum both reacted similarly to banjo licks as a title, one can only imagine what a googlebot thought. for what it's worth, i once sat next to bela fleck.

Upvote 0

wdegler

Licensed User
Longtime User
Every person who knows or plays almost any musical instrument is aware that a lick is like a short sequence of notes played over a chord. It's like a "riff".
The problem is not because people do not know about banjos; I received a similar email about one of my other apps, "LinearProg".
In any event, I appreciate your attention to this matter.

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
Bingo there is the problem. "Any person who plays musical instruments"

Chances are, Tech guys sitting at google, and especially Bots, dont know this... And neither do I, and I am a tech guy that doesnt know a thing about music other than listening to it.

LinearProg is meaningless to me as well, but that shouldnt trigger the traps. Then again, who knows, it "to me" stands out as a programming tool?

Upvote 0

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
two ideas:
1) Look for a way to contact Google. They will answer, I did it by Facebook and later by email, for a client with his Google-Business.
2) I don't know your case, but I'm always keeping a DataBase with who have download (and used) our Apps, Why? because if I have any big problem, I will email the new link to download the new App. (I hope will never use this option, finger crossed :) )

Upvote 0

Jack Cole

Licensed User
Longtime User
you may have missed your chance. google sent an email informing developers of its new
requirements regarding their apps' targeted audience. at that time developers were to go to their
app console ---> store presence ---> app content and select the appropriate "yes/no" option.

You might be able to fix it by going to Store Presence, App Content, and complete the Target Audience process. I think this is now responsible for choosing whether or not the app is child directed.

Upvote 0

wdegler

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Jack Cole for the info.
I have found a link to appeal my case and am waiting for the response.

As to the previous responders:
Banjo:
An instrument which is used in every type of contemporary music, especially Blue Grass and traditional. It is a part of nearly every Blue Grass band and others.
I do NOT believe the people who removed my apps do not know what a banjo is. All of you who have ever heard modern music have almost certainly heard a banjo and its licks played. Look for "banjo" and "banjo licks" on the Internet. Sites are everywhere!

LinearProg is a program for solving Linear Programming problems. It is familiar to people with a medium knowledge of mathemathcs. It is a must for most business majors.

I think my prospects look good now. Thanks to all of you!

Upvote 0