B4R Question Project Hardware: Need advice

Discussion in 'B4R Questions' started by Cableguy, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Cableguy

Cableguy Expert Licensed User

Hi guys,

I am in the designing stage (specs definition and hardware selection) of the most ambitious project I have ever managed.
    It will basically be a GSM controlled laser controller.
    So there will be a GSM board, a LCD Display, a basic 5 key keyboard and 24 5mw lasers.
    For development purposes, I already have the GSM board (A6), the Display, SH1106 1.30", and the lasers are in the mail.
    I've come to realise that the GSM code module takes up a huge amount of memory, so the UNI is out of question.
    I have an ESP2866 wemos board, but not enough I/O...
    So, i'm left with a Mega and a nano...
    The choice would be simple but...
    I started googling and found the STM32 based boards...
    What would you advise, knowing that I will need to make a "clean" prototype (no dev boards like a full size mega)...
    I found a few interesting versions of the Mega, like the 2560 pro mini, and equivalent STM32 Boards...
    What should I go for?

2. rbghongade

rbghongade Active Member Licensed User

You can always use PCF8574/75 to get extra GPIOs with ESP8266, still keeping the project cost low.

3. BillMeyer

BillMeyer Active Member Licensed User

In my opinion the MEGA would do the trick because of 2 things:

1. Your LCD - depending on type - these consume IO's muchly
    2. Your Keyboard - Also needs a few IO's
    3. Your Lasers - 24 !!

but size now has the upper hand because of the "clean" prototype so to make your size smaller again (Honey - I shrunk the Boards...) you could use two controllers and a mux board for the lasers. In Other Words, your ESP8266 doing some functions and connected serially to an Arduino Mini on which is running this board https://www.adafruit.com/product/2717 controlling your lasers. Look at this tutorial: https://www.maxphi.com/arduino-serial-communication-tutorial

And finally if your LCD is running on i2c and your keyboard - then with the muxboard - you could possibly get away with only the ESP8266.

I trust I have added to your confusion even more.

Cableguy likes this.
  4. Cableguy

Indeed you have

5. tigrot

tigrot Well-Known Member Licensed User

I have put on mega 2560 a big pjt, ram is to the limit but flash space is 30% used. The I/O is rich an you can connect a lot of signals. Processing power is not high, but if I have understood your needs you can get good results. Or use Arduino Due a similar device but with powerful micro.

6. Cableguy

To clarify things a bit, what I think I will need I/O wise:
    - SCL and SDA for the Display (working)
    - TX and RX for the GSM board (Haven't managed to get the softwareSerial working, and the HardWare serial is yet to be tested) plus 1 I/O for Power Key(?)
    - 5 Digital Pins for basic Keyboard
    - 5 Digital Pins for 5 to 24 decoder
    - 2 Analogic pins for Battery control

7. tigrot

For power use a switch. No need to put device to sleep. And one GPIO less. Do you want to use a port expander for lasers?

8. tigrot

Use a analog input for keyboard. Use the schematic for the keyboard + 16x2 lcd which is sold in China. They use a serie of resistors.

9. tigrot

10. Cableguy

in order to save pins, I am considering a Decoder (ABCDE to 24) and a timer, so that even if all lasers are to be "On", only one at a time will really be on, by using a timer to control (A sort of multiplexed PWM)

I had though of that, but for ease of coding, and since I will be creating my own Keyboard, I will be using 5 pins

11. tigrot

Nice idea. Do you use a sort of 74HC154?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice