Wish Provide Non primitive members of custom types - Like C/C++ Structures.

rgarnett1955

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi

I have a work around. It seems like you can pass the results of non-primitive function arg's via the arg's temselves as they appear to be arg's referenced not by value.

Is this correct?

I often wish to create a list or array with meta data fields using a function:

Non primitive members of custom types:
Sub Class_Globals  
    Type win_t(numNaN As Int, numHighExceptions As Int, numLowExceptions As Int, avg As Double, w As List)

Private w As win_t   ' window Buffer
End Sub  

w = fillWindowDoAverage(dataBuffer, 0, nW)

'==========================================================================================
Private Sub fillWindowDoAverage(data() As Double, startIndex As Int, nwin As Int) As win_t
    Dim listOut As win_t
    Dim nNan As Int = 0
    Dim val As Double
    Dim avgAcc As Double = 0

listOut.Initialize
    listOut.w.Initialize

If startIndex + nwin > data.Length - 1 Then
        Return listOut
    End If

For i = 0 To nwin - 1
        val = data(i)
        If IsNaN(val) = True Then
            nNan = nNan + 1
        Else
            avgAcc = avgAcc + val
        End If
        listOut.w.Add(val)
    Next

listOut.numNaN = nNan
    listOut.avg = avgAcc / nNan
    Return listOut
End Sub

I may be barking up the wrong tree, there might be a way of achieving this that I haven't thought of

Best regards Rob

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't understand your wish as custom types can already include non-primitive items. Indeed you do in your example code.

Also Java, and hence B4X can only pass parameters by value.

In the case of a non-primitive type the value of a variable is a reference to the object instance. The point of pass by value is that a called function cannot change the value of the original variable. However if the value is a reference it can modify the object whose reference it is.

The fact that an instance reference is passed is still a pass by value. Passing by value is defined as passing the contents of a variable whereas pass by reference passes a reference to the variable. The fact that a variable of a type of some object holds a reference means that passing by value passes that reference.

Discussion of it in this thread.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…