Question about RAM usage in VPS linux

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I am currently having a problem with my vps provider. They claim that my server dies sometimes according to oom killer , high ram usage. I had to upgrade to a higher plan now but i still cant understand what the reality is .

Foe example htop shows ram usage of 1400 mb / 8192

but when i asked the support , they say that i have to use free -m which shows around 5.5 gb of ram usage but isnt it with buffers & isnt buffers can be considered as free ram ?

So what is the real need of my server ? is it 1400 or 5500 mb ?

Please help me understand so my vps provider cant make me upgrade without any need

Thanks

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
even if it's 5.5 where is the rest (2.5Gb) if they claim that all gets used ?

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have no clear reply about but you should find which was consuming :
B4X:
grep oom-killer /var/log/messages
Another thing to take in count is the amount of swap available (if I do recall correctly, oom won't kill till the swap isn't full or reached the reserved memory). Perhaps the swappiness is to low (vm.swappiness=). Perhaps they are too much files links opened too (vm.vfs_cache_pressure=) ?

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
even if it's 5.5 where is the rest (2.5Gb) if they claim that all gets used ?
It is after the update Sorex. I had 4 gb ram before update when oom kill was happening. I needed to upgrade to 8 gb ram.

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have no clear reply about but you should find which was consuming :
B4X:
grep oom-killer /var/log/messages
Another thing to take in count is the amount of swap available (if I do recall correctly, oom won't kill till the swap isn't full or reached the reserved memory). Perhaps the swappiness is to low (vm.swappiness=). Perhaps they are too much files links opened too (vm.vfs_cache_pressure=) ?
command did not return anything.

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
command did not return anything
I have to apologize because, if the provider did warn you about oom on his side, of course, the logs were on his part... Stupid me.
So, I think they are only two solutions there :
- or trying to ulimit your process to the amount of RAM you think it was consuming and check if the process gets killed on your side, or not (ulimit -a provides all the information about the limits of the current user)
- or trust the provider and accept to have increased the plan, without any regret

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have to apologize because, if the provider did warn you about oom on his side, of course, the logs were on his part... Stupid me.
So, I think they are only two solutions there :
- or trying to ulimit your process to the amount of RAM you think it was consuming and check if the process gets killed on your side, or not (ulimit -a provides all the information about the limits of the current user)
- or trust the provider and accept to have increased the plan, without any regret
That's what i did : trust them :)

Roycefer

Licensed User
Longtime User
If it's of any use to you, the jAWTRobot library offers you programmatic access to lots of memory and cpu usage statistics.