Question: reading SMS from GSM modem with AT commands

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
The reason I didn't post this question on the questions section is that it is in vb + At commands.
A GSM modem (F2003 GSM modem) is connected to the PC by rs232.

but instead of receiving the actual message, I only receive a notification and the message number as follows:

AT+CMGL=4

Any hint appreciated

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Seems that there are 4 messages pending to be read. If it is so, when receiving another, if the previous haven't yet been read, it will say AT+CMGL=5

I seem to remember that for reading it was AT+CMGR=id (where id was the index number of the message to read)

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Seems that there are 4 messages pending to be read. If it is so, when receiving another, if the previous haven't yet been read, it will say AT+CMGL=5

I seem to remember that for reading it was AT+CMGR=id (where id was the index number of the message to read)

Yeah.. still the same.. I think this is from my VB code (may be).. because when I sent AT+CMGR=id from a terminal emulator then
I received the actual message. I can't understand why the same AT command fails when sent from VB app.

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Perhaps the modem needs a given end of command sequence VBCR or VBCRLF (as in C was "\r\n" or only "\r" or "\n")

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
JordiCP, you the man! thanks a lot.. correct, the problem was VBCRLF